This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018)
Che, Cha or Chu (Ч ч; italics: Ч ч) is a letter of the Cyrillic script.
It commonly represents the voiceless postalveolar affricate /tʃ/, like ⟨tch⟩ in "switch" or ⟨ch⟩ in "choice".
In English, it is romanized most often as ⟨ch⟩ but sometimes as ⟨tch⟩, like in French. In German, it can be transcribed as ⟨tsch⟩. In linguistics, it is transcribed as ⟨č⟩ so "Tchaikovsky" (Чайковский in Russian) may be transcribed as Chaykovskiy or Čajkovskij.
The name of Che in the Early Cyrillic alphabet was чрьвь (črĭvĭ), meaning "worm".
In the Cyrillic numeral system, Che had a value of 90.
In all Slavic languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet, except Russian, Che represents the voiceless postalveolar affricate /tʃ/.
In Russian, Che usually represents the voiceless alveolo-palatal affricate /t͡ɕ/, like the Mandarin pronunciation of j in pinyin. However, in a few words, it is pronounced as /tʂ/, like in Russian: лучше. Ч/ч is also pronounced as /tʂ/ in Serbian, as the Serbian letter Ћ/ћ is used for the /t͡ɕ/ sound.
In Russian, in a few words, it represents /ʂ/ (like English ⟨sh⟩ /ʃ/ in "shape"): Russian: что, чтобы, нарочно.
Related letters and other similar characters
- 4 : 4 - Number that very closely resembles Che, especially in digital or open ended form
- C c : Latin letter C - the same sound in Malay, Indonesian, Italian
- Č č : Latin letter C with caron
- Ç ç : Latin letter C with cedilla - an Albanian, Azerbaijani, Kurdish, Turkish, and Turkmen letter
- Ĉ ĉ : Latin letter C with circumflex, used in Esperanto language
- Tx : Digraph Tx, used in Basque and Catalan.
- Ch : Digraph Ch
- Cs : Digraph Cs
- Cz : Digraph Cz
- Ҷ ҷ : Cyrillic letter Che with descender
- Ӵ ӵ : Cyrillic letter Che with diaeresis
- Ҹ ҹ : Cyrillic letter Che with vertical stroke
- Ꚇ ꚇ : Cyrillic letter Cche
- Ɥ ɥ : Latin letter turned H
- Վ վ : Armenian letter Vev
- Կ կ : Armenian letter Ken
|Unicode name||CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER CHE||CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER CHE|
|UTF-8||208 167||D0 A7||209 135||D1 87|
|Numeric character reference||Ч
|Named character reference||Ч||ч|
|KOI8-R and KOI8-U||254||FE||222||DE|
|Code page 855||252||FC||251||FB|
|Code page 866||151||97||231||E7|
- "其中ч是取自俄文字母" https://www.douban.com/note/603048605/