|Ward of Cheap|
Location within the City
|Ward of Cheap shown within Greater London|
|OS grid reference|
|Administrative area||Greater London|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||EC1, EC4|
|Police||City of London|
Cheap is a small ward in the City of London. It stretches west to east from King Edward Street, the border with Farringdon Within ward, to Old Jewry, which adjoins Walbrook; and north to south from Gresham Street, the border with Aldersgate and Bassishaw wards, to Cheapside, the boundary with Cordwainer and Bread Street wards. The name Cheap derives from the Old English word "chep" for "market".
The following roads run north to south across the ward: St. Martin's Le Grand, Foster Lane, Gutter Lane, Wood Street, Milk Street, King Street, and Ironmonger Lane. Within its boundaries are two Anglican churches: St Vedast Foster Lane and St Lawrence Jewry; a third church, St Mildred, Poultry, was demolished in 1872. Several Livery Halls are located in Cheap, including those of the Mercers', Goldsmiths', Wax Chanders' and Saddlers' Companies.
A small part of the Guildhall lies within the ward's boundaries: the main entrance and main hall itself; the remainder is in Bassishaw. Also within Cheap are the Lord Mayor's and City of London Court and the southern end of Basinghall Street.
Cheap is one of 25 wards in the City of London, each electing an Alderman to the Court of Aldermen and Commoners (the City equivalent of a Councillor) to the Court of Common Council of the City of London Corporation. Only those who are Freemen of the City of London are eligible to stand for election.
- cheap, n., I.2.b., Oxford English Dictionary, Second Edition, 1989, Oxford University Press.
- http://www.moveandstay.com/offices_description.asp?id=1320 Details of junction
- Parish Web Site Archived 29 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- More details Archived 27 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Police overview Archived 9 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- http://18.104.22.168/NR/rdonlyres/5115C3A2-5389-4865-9AA6-4D713BFF5C7A/0/cheap.jpg[permanent dead link]
- www.cityoflondon.gov.uk Archived 10 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Map of Early Modern London: Cheap Ward - Historical Map and Encyclopedia of Shakespeare's London (Scholarly)
- Corporation of London Cheap ward boundaries
- Ward Club 
|This London location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|