|Industry||Software, Travel, Internet, Online travel agency|
|Headquarters||Calabasas, California, United States|
|Jeff Klee, CEO , Craig Fichtelberg, [President]|
Number of employees
CheapAir.com is an American online travel agency, established in 1989 by Jeff Klee. Based in Calabasas, California, with additional offices in Chicago and Denver, CheapAir.com is a privately owned company. According to Travel Weekly, CheapAir.com, under the parent company Amtrav, is ranked #48 on the 2013 Power List of Travel Agencies in the United States.
Founded in 1989 by CEO, Jeff Klee, out of his University of Michigan dorm room, CheapAir.com was originally known as 1-800-Cheap-Air prior to the website launch in 2000. In 1993 Craig Fichtelberg became a co-founder and president and began the nationwide expansion from California to Chicago to NYC.
In 2011, CheapAir.com announced Price Drop Payback, a program that guarantees to reimburse any price difference before a flight.
In 2012, after airlines began adding ancillary revenue, CheapAir.com added amenities like WiFi, movies, Live TV, and power ports, to its online shopping display.
In September 2012, CheapAir.com launched “Easy Search”, which lets users enter natural language to search for travel deals, becoming one of the first travel websites to offer semantic search.
In November 2013, CheapAir.com became the first travel agency worldwide to accept bitcoin as an alternate form of payment for flights. In February 2014, CheapAir became the first travel agency worldwide to accept bitcoin as an alternate form of payment for hotels.
- "Getting Refunds if the Price Drops". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "CheapAir details flights with Wi-Fi, movies, live TV". Tnooz. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "CheapAir Makes Searching For Travel Simpler, More Intuitive". Mashable.com. 2012-09-28. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Digital Traveler: Voice search app gives fingers a rest". Usatoday.com. 2013-06-05. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Best Apps and Websites for Travelers- Page 2 - Articles | Travel + Leisure". Travelandleisure.com. 2014-01-23. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Cheapair.com CEO on accepting bitcoin| Latest News Videos | Fox Business". Video.foxbusiness.com. 2013-11-26. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "CheapAir.com adopts Bitcoins to book hotels". Usatoday.com. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "CheapAir selling direct U.S.-Cuba flights online;". latimes.com. 2015-04-15. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- CheapAir Mobile, Voice Search Flights App
- USA Today - How far ahead should you book to get low airfares?
- Mashable - CheapAir Makes Searching For Travel Simpler, More Intuitive
- Tripified - Voice robot finds you cheap flights
- Los Angeles Times - Timing is essential to finding cheapest airfare this summer
- Los Angeles Times - New iPhone app lets you speak your flight searches
- The Seattle Times - Fellow cheapskates: Here’s when to book your airfare
- TIME - 6 Myths About Travel Spending That Cost You Money
- The Wall Street Journal - How (and When) to Snag Cheap Fares
- Business Insider - Tuesday And Wednesday Are No Longer The Best Days To Book Flights
- The New York Times - Strategies for Saving on Holiday Airfares
- Killer Startups - CheapAir.com – Founder Jeff Klee On Bootstrapping, Delivering Pizza, And Breakfast At Home
- Reuters - Catch the moving target of airfare pricing
- Tnooz - CheapAir unveils semantic search for booking flights with natural language queries
- Los Angeles Times - CheapAir selling direct U.S.-Cuba flights online