List of cheapest cities
Lists of the world's cheapest cities are developed by different institutions.
According to TripIndex by TripAdvisor, five of ten cheapest cities in the world are located in Asia which four of them are located in ASEAN/Southeast Asia countries. The research based on two of a one-night stay in a four-star hotel, cocktails, a two-course dinner with a bottle of wine, and a taxi transport (two return journeys of about 3.2 kilometres each). First is Hanoi with $141.12, second is Beijing with $159.05, third is Bangkok with $161.90, fifth is Kuala Lumpur with $194.43 and eight is Jakarta with $204.59.
Economist Intelligence Unit
In 2017, the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) released Top 10 cheapest cities in the world which 4 of it were from India: Kolkata (3rd), Chennai (6th), Mumbai (7th) and New Delhi (9th) based on the cost of 160 products and services. However, these rankings are far from reality and Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai and Delhi are the most expensive cities in India. Eastern Indian capital cities like Kolkata, Bhubaneswar and Southern city like Hyderabad are much cheaper.
- Karachi, Pakistan
- Lagos, Nigeria
- Kolkata, India
- Alma-Ata, Kazakhstan
- Algiers, Algeria
- Chennai, India
- Mumbai, India
- Bucharest, Romania
- New Delhi, India
- List of most expensive cities for expatriate employees
- Poverty threshold
- South-East Asian Tourism Organisation
- "KL among top five cheapest cities to visit". June 14, 2012. Archived from the original on March 13, 2016.
- "TripAdvisor : Jakarta Kota Wisata Termurah di Dunia". June 13, 2012.
- "Here are the 10 most expensive and cheapest cities in the world". March 11, 2016.
- Choudhury, Saheli Roy (2017-03-20). "These are the world's most expensive, and cheapest, cities to live in". CNBC. Retrieved 2017-03-22.