Lake Lynn Dam
|Location||Monongalia, West Virginia|
|Primary inflows||Cheat River|
|Managing agency||Allegheny Energy|
|Max. length||13 mi (21 km)|
|Surface area||1,730 acres (700 ha)|
|Surface elevation||870 ft (270 m)|
|Settlements||Morgantown, West Virginia|
Cheat Lake is a 13-mile-long (21 km) reservoir on the Cheat River in Monongalia County, West Virginia, United States. It was originally named Lake Lynn, but the Board on Geographic Names officially decided upon Cheat Lake as the reservoir's name in 1976. The surface area of Cheat Lake is about 1,730 acres (700 ha), the volume is approximately 128.016 cubic kilometres (30.713 cu mi), and it is located immediately downstream of the 10-mile-long (16 km) Cheat Canyon.
Cheat Lake has 3 marinas located towards the river end of the reservoir. They are Edgewater Marina, Lakeside Marina, and Sunset Beach Marina.
Cheat Lake Dam is located directly south of the Mason–Dixon line border with Pennsylvania. The dam is run by eleven employees and has a generating capacity of 52 megawatts (70,000 hp). Cheat Lake Dam's total length across the Cheat River is approximately 1,000 feet (300 m). The first water flowed over the dam on December 23, 1925 and it began its operation on May 31, 1926.
- Mont Chateau State Park, a former state park (1955-1977) along Cheat Lake
- Coopers Rock State Forest
- Snake Hill Wildlife Management Area
- "Cheat Lake". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. June 27, 1980. Retrieved March 27, 2010.
- "Cheat Lake Today". Allegheny Energy. Retrieved March 27, 2010.
- Lake Lynn, Pennsylvania-West Virginia quadrangle (Map). 1:24,000. 7.5-Minute Series (Topographic). U.S. Geological Survey. 1997. ISBN 978-0-607-93808-1.
- CheatLake.com Informational website about Cheat Lake and surrounding area. Provides a map of the lake and details about the marinas & restaurants.
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. WV-30, "Lake Lynn Hydroelectric Power House & Dam, Cheat River, Morgantown vicinity, Monongalia County, WV", 58 photos, 7 data pages, 3 photo caption pages
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cheat Lake.|