|Colongitude||136° at sunrise|
|Eponym||Pafnuty L. Chebyshev|
Chebyshev is a large lunar crater that lies in the southern hemisphere on the far side of the Moon. The somewhat smaller crater Langmuir is intruding into the east-southeastern rim of Chebyshev, forming a chain of large craters with Brouwer on Langmuir's eastern rim.
The outer rim of this walled plain is eroded and somewhat irregular, although much of the perimeter can still be discerned. The outer rampart of Langmuir spills into the interior, forming a rough patch in the southeastern floor. Several craters lie along the western rim, most notably Chebyshev U. The rim of this last crater is sharp-edged but somewhat irregular due to some slight outward bulges. The northern rim of Chebyshev has a wide notch extending outward about 30–40 kilometres in a V-shape. There are some other minor craters along the northeast rim, and the southern rim is a disorganized jumble.
The interior floor of Chebyshev is a mixture of relatively level plains and irregular stretches. A short chain of small craters has formed a gouge from the western inner wall reaching almost to the midpoint. There are several streaky clefts in the floor in the northeastern part of the crater. In the south is the bowl-shaped satellite crater Chebyshev N, a nearly symmetrical formation except for a slight outward bulge to the southwest. There is also an irregular crater along the inner wall to the west-southwest.
By convention these features are identified on lunar maps by placing the letter on the side of the crater midpoint that is closest to Chebyshev.
- 2010 Chebyshev, belt asteroid
- Andersson, L. E.; Whitaker, E. A. (1982). NASA Catalogue of Lunar Nomenclature. NASA RP-1097.
- Blue, Jennifer (July 25, 2007). "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature". USGS. Retrieved 2014-12-06.
- Bussey, B.; Spudis, P. (2004). The Clementine Atlas of the Moon. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-81528-4.
- Cocks, Elijah E.; Cocks, Josiah C. (1995). Who's Who on the Moon: A Biographical Dictionary of Lunar Nomenclature. Tudor Publishers. ISBN 978-0-936389-27-1.
- McDowell, Jonathan (July 15, 2007). "Lunar Nomenclature". Jonathan's Space Report. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Menzel, D. H.; Minnaert, M.; Levin, B.; Dollfus, A.; Bell, B. (1971). "Report on Lunar Nomenclature by the Working Group of Commission 17 of the IAU". Space Science Reviews. 12 (2): 136–186. Bibcode:1971SSRv...12..136M. doi:10.1007/BF00171763.
- Moore, Patrick (2001). On the Moon. Sterling Publishing Co. ISBN 978-0-304-35469-6.
- Price, Fred W. (1988). The Moon Observer's Handbook. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-33500-3.
- Whitaker, Ewen A. (2003). Mapping and Naming the Moon. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-54414-6.