Checkpoint (1956 film)
|Directed by||Ralph Thomas|
|Produced by||Betty E. Box|
|Written by||Robin Estridge|
|Music by||Bruce Montgomery|
|Edited by||Frederick Wilson|
Before a major motor race in Italy a man, O'Donovan, is hired by a British racing team to headhunt the designer of a rival team. However, when he fails, he attempts to steal the team's designs instead. When he is disturbed in the middle of the theft, he is forced to shoot his way out, killing five people.
The head of British team plans to cover up the crime by using the race to smuggle O'Donovan out the country.
- Anthony Steel as Bill Fraser
- Odile Versois as Francesca
- Stanley Baker as O'Donovan
- James Robertson Justice as Warren Ingram
- Maurice Denham as Ted Thornhill
- Michael Medwin as Ginger
- Paul Muller as Petersen
- Lee Patterson as Johnny Carpenter
- Anne Heywood as Gabriela
- Anthony Oliver as Michael
- Philip Gilbert as Eddie
- McDonald Hobley as Commentator
- Robert Rietti as Frontier Guard
The film was shot at Pinewood Studios in London with location work in Italy, including footage of the Mille Miglia, and scenes at Lake Como. It was based on an original screenplay by Robert Estridge.
The movie features the Lotus Mark 10 Aston Martin. John Wyer and Roy Salvadori worked on the film as advisers. "Steel handled the car with surprising ease—and it isn't an easy thing to drive," said Wyer.
Betty Box later wrote that the film "was for some reason or other an enormous success in Japan, and as the Japanese were crazy about the pale blue drivers' overalls, the fan letters we got from them weren't, as is usual, asking for autographs or photographs. They wanted to know where they could buy the overalls."
- Drama: Monroe Deal Sealed for 'Sleeping Prince'; Jagger Stars in London Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 13 Jan 1956: B7.
- NOTED ON THE BRITISH MOVIE SCENE: Footnotes on 'Monty's Double'--Selznick's Hurdle--Addenda Royalty Outspoken Potpourri By STEPHEN WATTS LONDON.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 17 June 1956: 103.
- "Wonderland Pictures.". Western Herald (Bourke, NSW : 1887 - 1970). Bourke, NSW: National Library of Australia. 4 July 1958. p. 5. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- Box p 143
- Betty Box, Lifting the Lid, 2001 p 145
- Checkpoint at the Internet Movie Database
- Checkpoint at TCMDB
- Checkpoint at Britmovie
- Checkpoint at AllMovie
- Review of film at New York Times
|This article related to a British film of the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a crime drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|