Cheek to Cheek
"Cheek to Cheek" is a song written by Irving Berlin in 1935, for the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movie Top Hat (1935). In the movie, Astaire sings the song to Rogers as they dance. The song was nominated for the Best Song Academy Award for 1936, which it lost to "Lullaby of Broadway". Astaire's recording of the song in 1935 spent five weeks at #1 on Your Hit Parade and was named the #1 song of 1935. Astaire's 1935 recording with the Leo Reisman Orchestra was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2000. In 2004, Astaire's version finished at #15 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.
- Fred Astaire (1935 #1 hit)
- Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald
- Jula de Palma from the E.P. Jula in Jazz - Columbia, SEMQ 149; feat. Franco Cerri trio (1959)
- Shirley Jones and Jack Cassidy from their album "With Love From Hollywood" (1959)
- Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, Cheek to Cheek
- Frank Sinatra, Come Dance with Me!
- Chet Atkins, from his album Solo Flights (1968)
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, from the album "The Penthouse Tapes" (1976)
- Taco, from the album After Eight (1982)
- Matthew Morrison (as Will Schuester) and Jane Lynch (as Sue Sylvester) in the seventh episode (titled "Puppet Master") of the fifth season of Glee (2013).
- Irving Berlin Collection description from the Library of Congress's online Performing Arts Encyclopedia; retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Cheek to Cheek" by Fred Astaire, 1935; from the University of Virginia's American Studies website, subsection "Manufacturing Memory: 1935-1939"; retrieved 2012-03-07.
- The 8th Academy Awards (1936) Nominees and Winners, from the website of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Science (www.oscar.org); retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Grammy Hall of Fame page from www.grammy.org; retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Soundtracks for The English Patient; published by the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com); retrieved 2012-04-07.