Cheese on toast
|Main ingredients||Sliced bread, cheese, sometimes butter|
Cheese on toast is a meal made by placing cheese (which may be either sliced or grated) on slices of bread melting the cheese under a grill. It is a simple meal, popular in the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
Cheese on toast consists of toast, either buttered or not, with cheese on one side. Further toppings are optional; the most basic being chopped onions (raw or grilled with the cheese), brown sauce or ketchup. Pickled cucumber, Branston pickle, fried tomatoes, fried eggs, Worcestershire sauce and baked beans are also common. Another common variation is to add something to the toast before applying the cheese, such as tomato, or a thin layer of spread Marmite, Vegemite (in Australia or New Zealand), cream spread, mustard or tomato ketchup.
Recipe books and internet articles tend to elaborate on the basics, adding ingredients and specifying accompaniments to make more interesting reading. Consequently, published recipes seldom deal with the most basic form of the dish and frequently refer to the similar dish of Welsh rarebit as "posh cheese on toast".
Cheddar cheese is most commonly used for Toasted Cheese, as this is a particularly good cheese for toasting. Lancashire dairies, in conjunction with a "National Toasted Cheese Day", have promoted Lancashire cheese as the best cheese to use.
- Grilled cheese, a hot cheese sandwich in the United States
- Open sandwich
- Cafe (British)
- Beans on toast, another simple dish made with slices of bread and a topping
- Croque monsieur, the French hot ham and cheese sandwich
- List of toast dishes
- Toasties, a sandwich from a sandwich toaster
- Uunijuusto, a Finnish speciality based on bovine colostrum
- Welsh rarebit, the cheese sauce based dish
- Hot Brown
- List of bread dishes
- James Martin. "BBC recipe by James Martin". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- Antony Worrall Thompson. "BBC recipe by Anthony Worrall Thompson". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- Lesley Waters. "BBC recipe by Lesley Waters: cheese sauce on toast". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 2009-10-07.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) British Cheese Board article. Retrieved 15 January 2008.