Cheeseburger in Paradise (restaurant)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Headquarters||Tampa, Florida, United States|
Number of locations
|7 States |
Cheeseburger in Paradise is a casual dining restaurant chain in the United States. The first restaurant opened on August 19, 2002, in the Southport area of Indianapolis, Indiana. It is a theme restaurant named for the song "Cheeseburger in Paradise" by American pop music singer Jimmy Buffett. The chain was a partnership of Buffett's company, the Orlando, Florida-based Margaritaville Holdings LLC, and OSI Restaurant Partners, with Buffett licensing the name and Outback Steakhouse operating the franchising of restaurants. It is currently a subsidiary of Luby's
In September 2009, Cheeseburger in Paradise was sold to Paradise Restaurant Group, LLC. Jimmy Buffett was only a Royalty Partner receiving 2% of profits until selling Paradise Restaurant Group the rights to the song "Cheeseburger in Paradise". In December 2012, Luby's purchased Paradise Restaurant Group for $11 million, thereby acquiring all of the restaurants and ending Jimmy Buffett's association with the chain.
Most of the menu items have an Island theme as well, such as the Pressed Burger, and the St. Barts Citrus Chicken. The menu also includes appetizers, salads, soups, sandwiches, wraps, island specialties, desserts, and a whole section on cheeseburgers. In addition to the regular menu, they offer a kid's menu, and gluten-free menu, and an entire menu dedicated to alcoholic cocktails.
After acquisition by Luby's, a number of the chain's locations were closed. In August 2014, Luby's announced to management and employees at its locations that half of the chain's remaining stores will close, either immediately or by the next few weeks. Affected stores include Fort Myers, Florida; Fishers, Indiana; Terre Haute, Indiana; Evansville, Indiana; Kansas City, KS; Middleton, WI; Sterling Heights, MI; Pasadena, MD; and California, MD. Many of these stores will be rebranded Fuddruckers Deluxe Bar and Grill, another concept owned by Luby's and a full-service version of their Fuddrucker's chain.
States that are home to Cheeseburger in Paradise:
- Florida (1) – Miramar Beach
- Indiana (1) - Indianapolis
- Maryland (2) - Pasadena and California
- Nebraska (1) – Omaha
- New Jersey (1) - Secaucus
- South Carolina (1) – Myrtle Beach
- Virginia (1) - Virginia Beach
A restaurant chain named Cheeseburger Restaurants based in Portola, California, has one of their restaurants located in oceanfront Lahaina, Hawaii also named "Cheeseburger in Paradise". This chain, which began in 1989, has no relations to Jimmy Buffett's business. Buffett sued the owners in 1997. After a four-year legal battle, a settlement was reached that allowed Laren Gartner and Edna Bayliff to keep the moniker at their existing restaurants in Lahaina and Waikiki, but prevented them from using the name on any additional locations.
- Cheeseburger in Paradise locations
- http://www.indystar.com/story/life/food/2014/08/26/hello-fuddruckers-cheeseburger-in-paradise-closes/14639317/ "The only remaining Indiana Cheeseburger in Paradise, 4670 Southport Crossings Drive in Indianapolis, remains open, for now. That was the chain's original restaurant launched in 2002."
- "Indianapolis, IN -- Cheeseburger in Paradise". BuffettWorld. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- Jimmy Buffett Sells 'Cheeseburger In Paradise' Restaurants
- http://archives.starbulletin.com/2004/08/01/business/index2.html Grilling up success with a cheeseburger, Jaymes Song, August 1, 2004, Honolulu Star-Bulletin/Associated Press