|Industry||Mobile apps, Mobile gaming, Internet security|
|Sheng Fu (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$764.6 million (2017)|
|US$68.6 million (2017)|
|US$207.2 million (2017)|
|Total assets||US$1.14 Billion (2017)|
Number of employees
Cheetah Mobile Inc (猎豹移动公司) is a Chinese mobile Internet company headquartered in Beijing. The creator of some of the most popular global mobile apps, it has more than 634 million monthly active users as of Jan 2017.
Chen Rui (zh:陳瑞 current CEO of Bilibili) founded Cheetah Mobile. The company was established in 2010 as a merger of Kingsoft Security (Chen served as General Manager) and Conew Image, and grew to be the second-largest internet security software provider in China, according to iResearch. The company is located at 1st Yaojiayuan South Rd, Chaoyang District, Beijing, China.
Initial public offering
In 2014, Cheetah Mobile launched an IPO selling 13 million American depositary shares at US$14 per share, and thereby raised US$168 million. The IPO was managed by Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan Chase & Co., and Credit Suisse Group. Kingsoft and Tencent are major investors in Cheetah Mobile, holding 54% and 18% respectively.
In the late 2015, Cheetah Mobile announced that it had entered into a global strategic partnership with Yahoo. The company incorporated Yahoo's search and native advertising platforms within its own apps. As a result of this, Cheetah Mobile stated that its revenue generated from Yahoo increased by 30 percent daily within the first two weeks.
Cheetah Mobile's ad supported products include:
- Clean Master for PC – It claims to improve performance by erasing junk files and optimizing device memory. A premium version is available that recovers lost files and updates drivers, among other claims. It is available for PC and Android.
- CM Browser – a web browser based on Chromium, it claims to be the first dual-core security browser in China.
- Big Bang 2048 – Similar to the game 2048, but with numbers replaced by animals.
- Just Get 10 – A puzzle where players tap adjacent tiles with the same number, which will then pop up. Tapping again merges the position to where it was tapped.
- Don't Tap The White Tile – Players must avoid white tiles.
- Piano Tiles 2: Don't Tap The White Tile 2 – The sequel of Don't Tap The White Tile, including new gameplay and songs.
- Rolling Sky - A fast-paced game where players must roll a ball through different levels.
- Tap Tap Dash - A fast-paced game where players must tap to keep their character from falling off the platform throughout different levels.
- Dancing Line - A rhythm game to tap in the beat.
- Arrow.io - an archery game that ranges in 4 arenas.
- Tap Tap Fish: AbyssRium - a marine aquarium game which the goal is to collect all the hidden fishes.
- Armorfly - A browser which claims to have high privacy and security.
- Battery Doctor – Claims to extend smartphone battery standby time.
- Clean Master – Claims to improve smartphone performance and free storage space by erasing junk files, optimizing memory, and providing full protection from viruses, trojans, and other malware. There is significant controversy online to whether the application is actually effective or not.
- Cloud Space of CM Security - A cloud backup tool to back up user's photos, call logs, contact information and SMS messages.
- CM Backup – A cloud backup service.
- CM Browser – A mobile web browser with antivirus security functions.
- CM Flashlight – An ad supported flashlight app with a built-in compass.
- CM Keyboard - A keyboard application that allows customizing the phone's keyboard.
- CM Launcher 3D – Launcher only compatible with Android devices.
- CM Locker - An Android lockscreen app.
- Security Master – An antivirus application for Android phones.
- CM Security VPN - A free VPN application.
- CM Speed Booster - An Android optimizer.
- CM Swipe - A quick access tool for easy access to apps and tools with just one hand.
- CM TouchMe - An assistive tool to quickly access system operations or apps, inspired by the assistive touch tool in iOS.
- CM Transfer - A file transfer tool to exchange photos, videos, music & apps offline.
- CM QR Code & Bar Code Scanner - An ad supported QR code scanner tool hidden in QR & Bar Codes.
- File Manager – Popular for Android, bought in early 2014 from Rhythm Software, which is based in Haidian, Beijing, PRC .
- GoTap! - A data management tool that claims to help users manage or reduce mobile data usage and battery.
- Heartbleed Scanner - A heartbleed virus scanner application that scans the Android operating system to see if the device is vulnerable to the 2014 Heartbleed exploit.
- Notification Cleaner - A notification manager tool.
- QuickPic Gallery – A photo gallery application. Which was acquired from Q-Supreme team in 2015.
- Ransomware Killer - A ransomware virus killer application that claims to kill malware on an infected Android phone.
- Simplelocker Cleaner - A locker cleaner application that performs a full scan of an Android device, and checks for example if a Cryptolocker virus is present. Claims to use a special anti-hijack solution to remove an infection.
- Speed Test - A WiFi speed test tool that helps scan WiFi connections, check the security and the speed of the connection, and then optimize the speed.
- Struts 2 Web Server Scanner - A web server scanner application that scans browser history and detects whether recently visited websites are affected by the Struts 2 flaw.
- Stubborn Trojan Killer - A mobile antivirus application that claims to get rid of stubborn trojans that can't be deleted by other common antivirus apps.
- WhatsCall - A caller application with free global and secure calls.
- 2Face - An account management application for instant simultaneous access to two exact copies of applications such as social, gaming and messaging apps on a single device.
- Artificial Intelligence - AI technology platform to power Cheetah Mobile full line of products.
- OrionOS – a platform for smart devices in collaboration with OrionStar
- Cheetah Voicepod – a voice recognition speaker based on AI
- Cheetah GreetBot - a receptionist robot to deal with customers
- Cheetah FriendBot - an educational robot for children
- Cheetah VendBot - a vending machine robot
- Cheetah Ads - Cheetah Mobile's self-operated ad platform offering a wide range of ad formats, from high-performing display and native ads, to full-screen vertical video.
Despite the popularity of its Clean Master Android App, it was reported in 2014 that ads promoting Clean Master manipulate Android users with deceptive tactics when browsing websites within the app's advertising framework. In April 2014, Ferenc László Nagy from Sophos Labs captured some pop-up ads that led to Clean Master, warning the device had been infected with a virus.
In July 2014, Cheetah Mobile encouraged users to uninstall Google Chrome and replace it with Cheetah Mobile's own browser during Clean Master's clean up and optimization process. This practice allowed Cheetah Mobile to gain unfair position in the marketplace and led to a Google crackdown.
In December 2018, Cheetah Mobile was implicated in a massive click fraud scheme, leading Google to remove two of its apps from its Play Store. Cheetah Mobile has denied the charges. In February 2020, Google banned nearly 600 apps on the Play Store including all Cheetah Mobile's apps "for violating our disruptive ads policy and disallowed interstitial policy."
- "Cheetah Mobile 2017 Audited Financial Results" (PDF). Cheetah Mobile. 2016-03-15. Archived from the original on 2016-03-24. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- Cheetah Mobile (17 January 2017). "The 10 most powerful Chinese export brands - Page 3 of 11 - Business Insider". Business Insider. Archived from the original on 2 February 2017.
- "Management | Bilibili". ir.bilibili.com. Archived from the original on 2020-07-07. Retrieved 2020-07-07.
- "Company Information". CMCM. Archived from the original on 2015-04-10. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Cheetah Mobile - About us". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on 2015-04-10. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Company IPO Overview - Cheetah Mobile Inc. (CMCM) IPO". NASDAQ. NASDAQ OMX Group. Archived from the original on 2015-03-18. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- Picker, Leslie (May 9, 2014). "Cheetah Mobile Gains in Trading Debut after $168 Million IPO". Bloomberg Business. Bloomberg L.P. Archived from the original on May 25, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "IPO Preview: Cheetah Mobile". Seeking Alpha. May 7, 2014. Archived from the original on February 5, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- Yeung, Ken (2015-11-17). "Cheetah Mobile says its Yahoo search and advertising partnership shows early promise". VentureBeat. Archived from the original on 2016-08-19. Retrieved 2015-11-20.
- "Phone - Hands On" (Video). 2016-03-01. Archived from the original on 2016-03-26. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- "Cubot and Cheetah Mobile unveil the CheetahPhone, headed to Europe for €199". GSM Arena. 23 February 2016. Archived from the original on 9 March 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Dillet, Romain (2016-08-02). "Cheetah Mobile acquires News Republic for $57 million". TechCrunch. Archived from the original on 2016-08-03. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "Cheetah Mobile to accelerate move into content after News Republic acquisition". South China Morning Post. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- "Clean Master for PC - A world's leading cleaner & booster tool". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on 6 March 2018. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "Cheetah Mobile - Make the world smarter". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on 6 March 2018. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "Cheetah Security Browser - the first dual-core secure browser". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on 27 February 2018. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "Big Bang 2048". Archived from the original on 2015-02-15.
- "Just Get 10". Archived from the original on 2015-02-15.
- "Don't Tap The White Tile". Archived from the original on 2017-12-01.
- "Piano Tiles: Halloween". Archived from the original on 2015-02-15.
- "Tap Tap Dash". Archived from the original on 2016-12-21.
- "Battery Doctor". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on November 21, 2014. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "Clean Master". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on November 2, 2014. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Clean Master". Reddit. Archived from the original on September 11, 2016. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Clean Master". Android Central. Archived from the original on July 15, 2016. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Clean Master". Android Forums. Archived from the original on August 28, 2016. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "10 Best Free Backup Apps for Android Phone & Tablet | Popular Mobile Apps Review". Popularmobileappsreview.com. Archived from the original on 15 September 2016. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- "CM Backup". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on November 21, 2014. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "CM Browser". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on November 21, 2014. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "CM Launcher 3D-Theme,Wallpaper - Android Apps on Google Play". Archived from the original on 2015-06-06.
- "CM Security". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on November 21, 2014. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "File Manager (File transfer) - Android Apps on Google Play". Archived from the original on 2015-03-22.
- "Photo Grid". Cheetah Mobile. Archived from the original on November 21, 2014. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "QuickPic Gallery - Android Apps on Google Play". Archived from the original on 2015-09-12.
- Crider, Michael (August 29, 2015). "Popular Photo Gallery App QuickPic Has Been Bought By Cheetah Mobile, And Users Are Pissed". Android Police.
- "Dharma and Wallet Virus Removal". Monstercloud.com. Archived from the original on 2017-03-18.
- "Orion猎户星空-为做有用的机器人而生". ainirobot.com. Archived from the original on 2017-12-01.
- Goldman, Jeremy (2018-03-26). "Cheetah Mobile unveils its big push into robotics and AI". The Next Web. Archived from the original on 2018-03-26. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "The company most known for its Android lock screen just revealed a bevy of robots · TechNode". TechNode. 2018-03-23. Archived from the original on 2018-03-27. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "Cheetah Ads - Vertical Video in All Mobile Moments". ads.cmcm.com. Archived from the original on 2017-11-05. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- "猎豹大数据 - 数据引领认知". cn.data.cmcm.com. Archived from the original on 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- "Google takes aim at deceptive advertising of Play Store apps". Sophos. Archived from the original on 2015-04-24. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "A Potential Impaling Blow To Cheetah Mobile As Flagship Product Removed From Google's App Store Rankings". Seeking Alpha. Archived from the original on 2015-04-25. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- Silverman, Craig (2018-11-26). "These Hugely Popular Android Apps Have Been Committing Ad Fraud Behind Users' Backs". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved 2019-05-11.
- Silverman, Craig (2018-12-03). "Google Removed Two Popular Cheetah Mobile And Kika Tech Apps After An Investigation Sparked By BuzzFeed News". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved 2019-05-11.
- "Google Has Banned Almost 600 Apps For Pushing "Disruptive" Ads". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- Aycock, Jason (2020-02-20). "Cheetah Mobile -5.9% on report of Google ban". Seeking Alpha. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "AnTuTu benchmarks apps are no longer available on Google Play Store". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2020-04-17.