Chef (2017 film)
Chef Release Poster
|Directed by||Raja Krishna Menon|
Raja Krishna Menon
Raja Krishna Menon
|Based on||Chef by Jon Favreau|
Saif Ali Khan|
|Music by||Raghu Dixit|
|Edited by||Shivkumar V. Panicker|
Bandra West Pictures
Chef is a 2017 Indian comedy-drama film directed by Raja Krishna Menon, featuring Saif Ali Khan and Padmapriya Janakiraman in the lead roles. It is an official remake of an American film with the same name.
The film's principal photography began in October 2016 in Kochi and was released on 6 October 2017. It received mixed to positive reviews, with Khan's performance in particular receiving praise, but failed to recoup its budget and was widely considered a flop at the box office.
Roshan Kalra(Saif Ali Khan)’s passion has been cooking ever since young. After losing his job as a chef, he decides to start his own mobile kitchen, and learning life lessons along the way.
- Saif Ali Khan as Roshan Kalra
- Padmapriya Janakiraman as Radha Menon
- Svar Kamble as Armaan (Ary)
- Chandan Roy Sanyal as Nuzrool
- Dinesh Prabhakar as Alex
- Milind Soman as Biju
- Sobhita Dhulipala as Vinnie
- Ramgopal Bajaj as Roshan's Father
- Pawan Chopra as Sunil Manohri
- Shayan Munshi
- Raghu Dixit as Himself
- Neha Saxena Cameo
|Soundtrack album by Raghu Dixit and Amaal Mallik|
|Released||26 September 2017|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The original songs and background score of the film were composed by Raghu Dixit. The song Tere Mere and its reprise were composed by guest composer Amaal Mallik. The lyrics have been penned by Ankur Tewari and Rashmi Virag. The first song of the film titled as "Shugal Laga Le" composed and sung by Raghu Dixit was released 6 September 2017. The second song "Tere Mere" sung by Armaan Malik was released on 11 September 2017. The third song titled as "Banjara" which is sung by Vishal Dadlani was released on 18 September 2017. The soundtrack was released on 26 September 2017 by T-Series.
|1.||"Shugal Laga Le"||Ankur Tewari||Raghu Dixit||Raghu Dixit||4:42|
|2.||"Tere Mere"||Rashmi Virag||Amaal Mallik||Armaan Malik||5:43|
|3.||"Banjara"||Ankur Tewari||Raghu Dixit||Vishal Dadlani||4:13|
|4.||"Tan Tan"||Ankur Tewari||Raghu Dixit||Nikhita Gandhi||3:07|
|5.||"Khoya Khoya"||Ankur Tewari||Raghu Dixit||Shahid Mallya||3:07|
|6.||"Darmiyaan"||Ankur Tewari||Raghu Dixit||Raghu Dixit||5:13|
|7.||"Tere Mere" (Reprise)||Rashmi Virag||Amaal Mallik||Armaan Malik||3:59|
Raja Sen of NDTV gave the film a rating of 2 out of 5 saying that, "Saif Ali Khan and the actors try hard, but lazy writing and direction make Chef a flavourless and bland meal". Meena Iyer of The Times of India praised the performance of Saif Ali Khan, the leading actor of the film and gave the film a rating of 3.5 out of 5 saying that, "Chef is predictable in parts, the journey is an enjoyable one." Sweta Kaushal of Hindustan Times gave the film a rating of 1.5 out of 5 and said that, "Saif Ali Khan’s Chef offers moments of brilliance which, if weaved in a more organised manner, may have given us a light, affable film. But a lazy and rather uninterested narrative takes away the pleasure." Sukanya Verma of Rediff gave the film a rating of 2.5 out of 5 and said that, "In a premise begging for food porn, there’s a shocking scarcity of sensory pleasure or vision. Chef is too dull to be delicious." Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave the film a rating of 2 out of 5 and said that, "Saif Ali Khan's film has some interesting flavours. But 'Chef' feels derivative, and is a late coming of age tale of Peter-Pan-like adults. And that's got to do with the uneven writing. It is a good-looking film, with good-looking people only." Rajeev Masand gave the film a rating of 2.5 out of 5 saying that, "Chef isn’t perfect; it lags in places, offers quick-fix solutions to characters’ problems, and feels wholly familiar. But at a little over two hours, it doesn’t ask much of you, and offers some pleasure in Saif Ali Khan’s return to form as an actor hard to look away from."
- "Chef Movie Box Office Collection Prediction, Budget And Screen Count". Bollywood Crazies. 2016-10-06.
- "Box Office: Worldwide Collections and Day wise breakup of Chef". Bollywood Hungama.
- Share on Twitter (2016-11-19). "Saif's finally found his close buddy — Mumbai Mirror". Mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Snapped: Saif shoots in Golden Temple for Chef!". Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- Share on FacebookShare on Twitter. "Saif Ali Khan: Spotted: Saif Ali Khan shooting for 'Chef'on the streets of Amritsar ". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Saif Ali Khan's Chef to release on July 14". Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- Shah, Karan. "Saif Ali Khan's Chef turns into one of the BIGGEST flops of 2017 - read our full box office analysis". Retrieved 2017-11-11.
- "Chef Movie Review: Saif Ali Khan's Film Is Flavourless And Forgettable". NDTV.
- "Chef Movie Review". The Times of India.
- "Chef movie review: Saif Ali Khan film is a bland dish". Hindustan Times.
- "Review: Chef is too dull to be delicious". Rediff.
- "Chef movie review: This Saif Ali Khan film doesn't come together as a fully satisfactory dish". The Indian Express.
- "Chef Movie Review - Half cooked!". Rajeev Masand.