Kouyaté in 2014
|Full name||Cheikhou Kouyaté|
|Date of birth||21 December 1989|
|Place of birth||Dakar, Senegal|
|Height||1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Playing position||Midfielder / Defender|
|West Ham United|
|1996–2006||ASC Yego Dakar|
|2008–2009||→ Kortrijk (loan)||26||(3)|
|2014–||West Ham United||87||(9)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 07 March 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 16:55, 14 November 2016 (UTC)
Kouyaté moved from Senegal to Belgium in 2006, having been offered a youth contract at RWDM Brussels. After breaking in to the first team, he went on to play just ten appearances before moving to Anderlecht aged 19. In June 2014, he joined West Ham of the Premier League. He represented the Senegal national team at the 2012 Olympics.
Kouyaté began his footballing career in 1996 in his hometown with ASC Yego Dakar and was scouted by RWDM Brussels in September 2006. RWDM Brussels then signed the player in January the following year. He went on to play ten league appearances for the first team between 2007 and 2008.
As Kouyaté turned 19, he left Brussels because his former employers did not pay him three months' worth of wages. He subsequently moved to Belgian rivals Anderlecht on a four-year deal for a free transfer. Kouyaté went on to make 153 league appearances for Anderlecht, scoring four goals in five seasons at the club. He won the 2009–10, 2011–12, 2012–13 and 2013–14 league titles as well as the 2010–11, 2012–13 and 2013–14 Belgian Super Cups.
West Ham United
On 18 June 2014, Kouyaté signed for West Ham United on a four-year contract. He made his West Ham debut on 16 August 2014 in a 1–0 home defeat to Tottenham Hotspur. His performance was described as "impressive" by the BBC. The following week, manager Sam Allardyce compared him to ex-Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira. On 28 December, Kouyaté scored his first West Ham goal in a 1–2 defeat to Arsenal. His second goal of the season came on 8 February 2015 in a 1–1 draw with Manchester United. His performance in the game won praise from manager Allardyce for Kouyaté's Man of the Match performance which was also singled out as the Individual Performance of the Season, by a West Ham player, at the clubs' annual awards. He scored two further goals in the season, in a 2–2 away draw with Tottenham and in a 2–1 away defeat to Leicester City. Kouyaté finished the season having played 31 out of a possible 38 Premier League games.
On 9 August 2015, Kouyaté scored the opening goal in the 43rd minute in a 2–0 win over Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium. He then scored in a 4–3 home defeat to AFC Bournemouth on 22 August. He scored his third goal of the season in a 2–2 draw with Norwich City on 26 September, netting the equalizer in the 90th minute to rescue a point for West Ham. In March 2016, Kouyate signed a new, five-year contract with West Ham that could keep him at the club until 2021. Kouyaté was sent-off twice during the 2015-16 season and on both occasions had the card rescinded by The Football Association (FA). On 21 February, he was dismissed by referee Jonathan Moss in a 5–1 FA Cup win at Blackburn Rovers, only for the card to be rescinded a few days later. On 2 April, he was dismissed in a Premier League game at the Boleyn Ground against Crystal Palace by referee Mark Clattenburg. This too, however, was overturned a few days later.
On 4 August 2016, Kouyaté scored West Ham's first ever goal at the Olympic Stadium, coming in the eighth minute of a Europa League game against NK Domžale. He also scored the second in the game, which West Ham won 3–0.
Kouyaté was called up aged 18 to the Senegal under-20s in the same year as his RWDM Brussels debut. He scored two goals in just three games for the side in 2007.
In February 2012, Kouyaté was called up to the Senegal senior team. In the same year, he was announced to be in the squad for Senegal Olympic football team. He played in every game as Senegal's debut appearance in the tournament ended in a knockout in the quarter-final. In January 2015, he was a member of Senegal's squad for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, held in Equatorial Guinea. Kouyaté is the current Senegalese captain.
|RWDM Brussels||2007–08||Belgian First Division||10||0||0||0||—||—||10||0|
|Anderlecht||2009–10||Belgian Pro League||21||1||3||1||—||9||0||33||2|
|Kortrijk (loan)||2008–09||Belgian First Division||26||3||0||0||—||—||26||3|
|West Ham United||2014–15||Premier League||31||4||1||0||0||0||—||32||4|
- Appearances in UEFA Europa League
- Scores and results list Senegal's goal tally first.
|1.||5 September 2015||Sam Nujoma Stadium, Windhoek, Namibia||Namibia||1–0||2–0||2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualification|
|2.||15 November 2015||Stade Léopold Sédar Senghor, Dakar, Senegal||Madagascar||1–0||3–0||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
- "Squads for 2016/17 Premier League confirmed". Premier League. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Premier League Player Profile Cheikhou Kouyaté". Premier League. Barclays Premier League. 2015. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- FC BRUSSELS Players on www.rwdm-brussels.be
- "CHEIKHOU KOUYATE". www.whufc.com. Archived from the original on 15 January 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Cheikhou Kouyaté moet van de rechter naar Anderlecht on www.nieuwsblad.be
- Cheikhou Kouyaté at Soccerway
- Hammers complete Kouyate transfer on www.whufc.com
- Rose, Gary (16 August 2014). "West Ham United 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur". BBC Sport. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "Sam Allardyce: When I look at West Ham signing Cheikhou Kouyate I see Patrick Vieira". The Evening Standard. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "West Ham United 1–2 Arsenal". Jamaica Observer. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Allardyce singles out West Ham star for special praise after Manchester United draw". www.london24.com. Archived from the original on 27 April 2015. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Kouyate's vote of thanks". www.whufc.com. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Tottenham 2–2 West Ham". BBC Sport. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Leicester City 2-1 West Ham United". BBC Sport. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Games played by Cheilhou Kouyate in season 2014–15". www.soccerbase.com. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Osborne, Chris (9 August 2015). "Arsenal 0-2 West Ham". BBC Sport. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "West Ham United 3 - 4 AFC Bournemouth Match report - 22/08/2015 Premier League — Goal.com". www.goal.com. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "West Ham United 2-2 Norwich City". BBC. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Cheik's in for five more years!". www.whufc.com. 18 March 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Blackburn 1-5 West Ham United". BBC Sport. 21 February 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "Kouyate red card rescinded". www.whufc.com. 23 February 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "West Ham: Cheikhou Kouyate red card rescinded by FA". BBC Sport. 5 April 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "Senegal off to the perfect start". www.whufc.com. Archived from the original on 21 January 2015. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "C. KOUYATÉ". Soccerway. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Cheikhou Kouyaté". Soccerbase. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Senegal – C. Kouyaté – Profile with news, career statistics and history". soccerway.com. Retrieved September 25, 2016.