|Traded as||KRX: 030000|
|Headquarters||Seoul, South Korea|
|Daiki Lim  (President & CEO)|
|Revenue||USD $693.3 million (2013) |
Cheil Worldwide Inc. (KRX: 030000) is a marketing company under the Samsung Group that offers advertising, public relations, shopper marketing, sports marketing, digital marketing, etc. It was established in 1973 with headquarters in Seoul, South Korea.
It is the country's largest and the world's 15th largest advertising agency, by 2013 revenues. Its major clients include Samsung, Hankook Tire, Deutsche Bahn, Orion, New Balance, Coca-Cola, AIG, ESPN, Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company (du)  and Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA). It has 44 offices spread across 5 continents and CIS.
In 1973 when the company was established by Lee Byung-chul, the Korean entrepreneur who founded Samsung Group, the official name was Cheil Communications. It began conducting Korea's first nationwide lifestyle surveys in 1977; set up a joint venture with Bozell in 1989; and set up Hakuhodo-Cheil in 1999. The company changed its name to Cheil Worldwide in 2008.
Cheil Worldwide opened its first international branch office in Tokyo in 1988 and established Cheil USA 4 years later. From the late 2000s, it began to acquire stakes in overseas agencies. It acquired a stake in London-based agency Beattie McGuinness Bungay in 2008 and New York-based digital shop, The Barbarian Group in 2009. In order to gain further foothold in the US and China, Cheil bought two more agencies in 2012, McKinney  and Bravo Asia, respectively.
In May 2013, Cheil Worldwide revealed a new corporate identity complete with a new logo and a new slogan "Ideas that Move". Most recently in December 2013, it opened a new office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, increasing the company's global footprint to a total 35 countries. As of March 2015, Cheil has 48 offices and 8 affiliates across 41 countries.
In November 2014, it announced that it had signed a deal to acquire a significant initial investment in the UK-based agency iris worldwide. The deal will potentially rise to 100% of the business over the next five years.
Awards and recognition
Cheil's work for Tesco Homeplus won one Grand-prix and four Golds at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in 2011  and the Digital Campaign of the Year at the South by Southwest Interactive (SXSWI) in 2012. Even after a year the campaign was launched, industry publication AdAge hailed the Homeplus work as "the one with lasting impact you don't see with many other celebrated campaigns." 
A wider range of Cheil's works was recognized in 2012. Award wins include 12 Cannes Lions including 3 Gold  and 1 Grand Prix at the Spikes Asia  in which Simon Hong, Cheil's Executive Creative Director, presented a seminar session on "Nothing Ever Becomes Real Till It Is Experienced". He discussed about the brand experience for consumers and how important is creativity and technology. Earlier in the same year, Cheil partnered with K-Pop group 2NE1 to host a seminar at the Cannes Lions. The session was about how digital technology has driven the "Korean Wave"; how K-pop is taking over the world through digital and social media; and what it means for advertising.
In 2013, The Barbarian Group, an American digital agency acquired by Cheil in 2009, won an Innovation Grand Prix at the Cannes Lions. Adding to the list of awards, the Bridge of Life won a Grand CLIO award for Public Relations  and two Gold and a Titanium at the Cannes Lions. At the Cannes Lions 2013, Cheil UK took one Gold and two Bronze for We are David Bailey campaign; German office's Free the Forced scooped one Gold, one Silver and four Bronze. Later in 2013 at the Eurobest, Simon Hathaway and Daniele Fiandaca from Cheil talked about the emergence of shopper marketing and what the rest of world can learn about the field from South Korea.
Cheil once again spoke at the Cannes Lions seminar in June 2014, with a guest speaker from Samsung Electronics. The seminar addressed how the age of mobile has fundamentally changed the way we live our lives, and how it has changed companies which have to market their products and services to this fast-changing generation of mobile.
- "Cheil Worldwide promotes Daiki Lim to president and CEO | Advertising news | Campaign". Campaignlive.co.uk. 2012-12-10. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil Worldwide acquires U.S. marketing firm". Korea Herald. July 31, 2013.
- "Cheil Worldwide". AdAge.
- "Samsung,CHEIL WORLDWIDE INC | Agency Portfolio". Campaignasia.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Tuesday 29, January 2013 at 1:08 PM by CB (2013-03-18). "Cheil Worldwide Korea test out the ski slopes of New Zealand for Hankook Tire - Campaign Brief Asia". Campaignbrief.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Deutsche Bahn appoints Cheil Worldwide for digital and mobile". The Drum. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil's presence in China growing |Artist Special". chinadaily.com.cn. 2013-06-28. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Coca-Cola appoints Cheil UK to evolve its 'Happiness' proposition". The Drum. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil Worldwide Opens In Malaysia!". Marketingmagazine.com.my. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "ESPN, McKinney Debut Suggestive 'Take It All In' Campaign for SEC - AgencySpy". Mediabistro.com. 2013-12-06. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Key government agency wins for Cheil". GulfNews.com. 2012-10-31. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil Communications | AdAge Encyclopedia of Advertising - Advertising Age". Adage.com. 2003-09-15. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Madden, Normandy (2008-12-01). "Cheil Acquires Stake in Beattie McGuinness Bungay | Agency News - Advertising Age". Adage.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Agency Family Trees 2013 - Advertising Age". Adage.com. 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil USA, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil Worldwide Acquires The Barbarian Group - NEW YORK, Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/". Prnewswire.com. 2013-01-02. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil Worldwide Acquires U.S. Agency McKinney, World's Most Effective Independent Ad Agency". Business Wire. 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- O'Leary, Noreen (2012-08-13). "Cheil Acquires Bravo Asia". Adweek. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil Worldwide's New Corporate Identity Envisions 'Ideas That Move' - Samsung Blog". Samsung Village. 2013-05-28. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-12. Retrieved 2013-12-09.
- Korea's ad spend hits record high, Campaign Brief Asia, 2012-02-28
- Samsung Photo Exhibit Showcases Work by Blind Children, AdAge, 2012-04-05
- Cheil Worldwide hires SaatchiX CEO as shopper marketing expert, M & M Global, 2012-06-13
- Cannes Lions seminars debrief, Contagious, 2013-06-18
- Cheil South Korea's "Bridge of Life" is Asia's only Titanium Lion winner at Cannes Lions, Campaign Brief Asia, 2013-06-23
- Cannes Lions 2013: innovation in marketing - video debate, The Guardian, 2013-06-18
- Cheil wins creative mandate for CITIC Capital's Hefei retail property, Campaign Asia Pacific, 2013-10-03
- How Asian Agencies Become Global Holding Companies, AdAge, 2013-12-27
- DIGITAL: HOMEPLUS SMART VIRTUAL STORE Luerzer's Archive
- Shiv Sethuraman appointed as Cheil group President for South West Asia region, Economic Times of India, 2015-01-06
- Lotta Malm Hallqvist joins Cheil from McCann, Campaign, 2015-01-07
- Kiwi expat Malcolm Poynton moves into global chief creative officer role at Cheil Worldwide, Campaign Brief Asia, 2015-01-16
- Interview with Anis Zantout, Regional Digital Director-Cheil MENA, Media Avataar Me, 2015-01-27
- Mobile to the rescue in Korea’s 2014-15 ad spending: Cheil, Digital Market Asia, 2015-02-24