|Traded as||KRX: 030000|
|Headquarters||Seoul, South Korea|
|Jeongkeun Yoo (President & CEO)|
|Revenue||USD $984.9 million (2018)|
Cheil Worldwide Inc. (KRX: 030000) is a marketing company under the Samsung Group that offers advertising, public relations, shopper marketing, sports marketing, digital marketing, etc. It was established in 1973 with headquarters in Seoul, South Korea.
It is the country's largest and the world's 19th largest advertising agency, by 2018 revenues, and the world's 14th creative agency network. Its major clients include Samsung, Absolut, Adidas, Coca-Cola, GE, General Motors, Lego, Microsoft, Nestle, and Shell. It has 53 offices spread across 5 continents and CIS.
In 1973 when the company was established by Lee Byung-chul, the Korean entrepreneur who founded Samsung Group, the official name was Cheil Communications. It began conducting Korea's first nationwide lifestyle surveys in 1977; set up a joint venture with Bozell in 1989; and set up Hakuhodo-Cheil in 1999. The company changed its name to Cheil Worldwide in 2008.
Cheil Worldwide opened its first international branch office in Tokyo in 1988 and established Cheil USA 4 years later. From the late 2000s, it began to acquire stakes in overseas agencies. It acquired a stake in London-based agency Beattie McGuinness Bungay in 2008 and New York-based digital shop, The Barbarian Group in 2009. In order to gain further foothold in the US and China, Cheil bought two more agencies in 2012, McKinney and Bravo Asia, respectively.
Most recently in January 2019, it opened a new office in Buenos Aires, Argentine, increasing the company's global footprint to a total 44 countries. As of May 2019, Cheil has 53 offices and 9 affiliates across 44 countries.
In November 2014, it announced that it had signed a deal to acquire a significant initial investment in the UK-based agency iris worldwide. The deal will potentially rise to 100% of the business over the next five years. In 2016, it acquired Founded, a creative agency with offices in London and San Francisco.
In December 2017, executive vice president Jeongkeun Yoo was appointed to president and CEO after the resignation of Daiki Lim.
Awards and recognition
Cheil's work for Tesco Homeplus won one Grand-prix and four Golds at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in 2011 and the Digital Campaign of the Year at the South by Southwest Interactive (SXSWI) in 2012. Even after a year the campaign was launched, industry publication AdAge hailed the Homeplus work as "the one with lasting impact you don't see with many other celebrated campaigns."
A wider range of Cheil's works was recognized in 2012. Award wins include 12 Cannes Lions including 3 Gold and 1 Grand Prix at the Spikes Asia in which Simon Hong, Cheil's Executive Creative Director, presented a seminar session on "Nothing Ever Becomes Real Till It Is Experienced". He discussed about the brand experience for consumers and how important is creativity and technology. Earlier in the same year, Cheil partnered with K-Pop group 2NE1 to host a seminar at the Cannes Lions. The session was about how digital technology has driven the "Korean Wave"; how K-pop is taking over the world through digital and social media; and what it means for advertising.
In 2013, The Barbarian Group, an American digital agency acquired by Cheil in 2009, won an Innovation Grand Prix at the Cannes Lions. Adding to the list of awards, the Bridge of Life won a Grand CLIO award for Public Relations and two Gold and a Titanium at the Cannes Lions. At the Cannes Lions 2013, Cheil UK took one Gold and two Bronze for We are David Bailey campaign; German office's Free the Forced scooped one Gold, one Silver and four Bronze. Later in 2013 at the Eurobest, Simon Hathaway and Daniele Fiandaca from Cheil talked about the emergence of shopper marketing and what the rest of world can learn about the field from South Korea.
Cheil once again spoke at the Cannes Lions seminar in June 2014, with a guest speaker from Samsung Electronics. The seminar addressed how the age of mobile has fundamentally changed the way we live our lives, and how it has changed companies which have to market their products and services to this fast-changing generation of mobile.
In 2015, Cheil won 10 Cannes Lions including one Gold, three Silver and one Bronze for the Look At Me campaign. Look at Me campaign also won 2 Grand Prix at the Spikes Asia. Peter Kim, Cheil's Chief Digital Officer, spoke to the audience at the Cannes Lions seminar, and provided ten insights into things that will change in social media over the next decade.
In 2016, Cheil Worldwide Spain took one Gold and one Bronze for Blind Cap campaign at Cannes Lions. Also, Cheil and guest speaker from KT drew attention to the enormous change that Internet of Things will bring to marketing - diversifying into completely individualized, independent brand experiences for each consumer.
In 2017, iris Worldwide won one Silver and four Bronze for adidas Glitch campaign at Cannes Lions. Cheil hosted two seminars partnering with CJ E&M. The first session, with South Korea's famous TV producer Yungsuk Nah and actor Seojin Lee, Cheil talked about the 'power of boredom’ that's widely taking place beyond TV shows to other different areas including advertising, film and gaming. The second session, with YG Entertainment USA, Cheil shared insights into the rise of KPOP and the KPOP lifestyle.
- "Cheil Worldwide names new president and CEO | Advertising news | Campaign". Campaignlive.co.uk. 2017-12-12. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Agency Family Trees 2019 - Ad Age".
- "Company Overview of Cheil Worldwide Inc". Bloomberg. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Cheil Worldwide acquires U.S. marketing firm". Korea Herald. July 31, 2013.
- "Cheil Worldwide". AdAge.
- "WARC Creative 100 - Top agency networks 2019". WARC. 2019-02-25.
- "Samsung Electronics Awarded 2016 Creative Marketer of the Year by Cannes LIONS". Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Absolut turns to Cheil UK for global retail brief". The Drum. 2015-04-28. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Iris Takes on Haters for Adidas". Agency Spy. 2015-01-20. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Coca-Cola appoints Cheil UK to evolve its 'Happiness' proposition". The Drum. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Barbarian Group, GE Use Drones, Periscope In 5-Day Campaign Blitz". Media Post. 2015-08-06. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "Diligent Korean Dad Buys Grand Daughter's First Car in Charming Spot for Chevrolet by Cheil Worldwide". Branding in Asia. 2017-05-23. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Lego inks a deal with Iris Worldwide Singapore". Marketing Interactive. 2015-08-05. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "BMB wins Internet Explorer 9 creative". Campaign. 2011-04-14. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Nestle hires Iris for Kit Kat shopper marketing". Campaign. 2013-04-19. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Iris scoops global Shell digital business". Campaign. 2007-10-18. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "CHEIL WORLDWIDE". www.cheil.com. Archived from the original on 2015-07-14.
- "Cheil Communications | AdAge Encyclopedia of Advertising - Advertising Age". Adage.com. 2003-09-15. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "CHEIL COMMUNICATIONS". Adage.com. 2003-09-15. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Agency Family Trees 2013 - Advertising Age". Adage.com. 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil USA, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "CHEIL ACQUIRES STAKE IN BEATTIE MCGUINNESS BUNGAY". Adage.com. 2008-12-01. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil Worldwide Acquires The Barbarian Group - NEW YORK, Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/". Prnewswire.com. 2013-01-02. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Cheil Worldwide Acquires U.S. Agency McKinney, World's Most Effective Independent Ad Agency". Business Wire. 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- O'Leary, Noreen (2012-08-13). "Cheil Acquires Bravo Asia". Adweek. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "CHEIL WORLDWIDE". www.cheil.com.
- "Cheil Worldwide takes unspecified stake in Iris Worldwide".
- "Cheil Worldwide acquires Founded".
- "Cheil Worldwide Names a New CEO After Its Previous One Unexpectedly Resigned". AdWeek. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "SOUTH KOREA'S CHEIL CAPTURES MEDIA GRAND PRIX AT CANNES". Ad Age. 2011-06-21. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "SXSW Interactive Awards / Winners". Contagious. 2012-03-20. Archived from the original on 2017-11-13. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "How Cheil's Creative Team Revolutionized Retail". 2012-07-09.
- "Cannes Highlight: Cheil Worldwide's 12 LIons represents their best Cannes performance ever". Archived from the original on 2013-12-27. Retrieved 2013-12-27.
- "Cheil Worldwide Korea wins Film Grand Prix at Spikes Asia for Samsung Camera 'Insight'". Archived from the original on 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2013-12-31.
- Matthew Holden (21 September 2012). "Spikes Asia 2012: Simon Hong, Executive Creative Director, Cheil Worldwide" – via YouTube.
- "K-pop group to partner Cheil at Cannes Lions". Archived from the original on 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2013-12-31.
- Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity (21 June 2012). "2NE1 at the Cheil Worldwide Seminar at Cannes Lions 2012" – via YouTube.
- "The Barbarian Group Wins Inaugural Innovation Lions Grand Prix". Adweek. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "The 2013 Clio Awards Winners".
- "Cheil South Korea's "Bridge of Life" is Asia's only Titanium Lion winner at Cannes Lions". Campaign Brief Asia. 2013-06-23. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-12. Retrieved 2013-12-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Free The Forced – Cheil Germany « create and more". www.create-and-more.de.
- eurobest Festival of Creativity (6 December 2013). "Eurobest TV Meets: Cheil talk Shopper Marketing" – via YouTube.
- "Everything you need to know about Cannes Lions 2014". Marketing Week. 2014-05-30. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Cheil Worldwide Seoul awarded Gold in Cannes Cyber Lions; Silver to O&M Singapore + Dentsu". Campaign Brief Asia. 2015-06-25. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Spikes Asia 2015 Winners Revealed". Little Black Book. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Beyond the narcissism: six trends defining the next decade of social media". Campaign. 2015-06-22. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Cheil Spain & Samsung's innovative swimming cap breaks barriers for Paralympic swimmers". Lovely Mobile News. 2016-07-08. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Paid, Earned, Owned, and Connected: How IoT is Changing the Communications Industry". The Holmes Report. 2016-06-21. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Cannes Lions Winners 2017". www.iris-worldwide.com. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "Cannes Lions 2017: Cheil Worldwide And CJ E&M Present The Power Of Boredom: How The Ordinary Can Be Extraordinary". Adobo Magazine. 2017-06-18. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- Korea's ad spend hits record high, Campaign Brief Asia, 2012-02-28
- Samsung Photo Exhibit Showcases Work by Blind Children, AdAge, 2012-04-05
- Cheil Worldwide hires SaatchiX CEO as shopper marketing expert, M & M Global, 2012-06-13
- Cannes Lions seminars debrief, Contagious, 2013-06-18
- Cheil South Korea's "Bridge of Life" is Asia's only Titanium Lion winner at Cannes Lions, Campaign Brief Asia, 2013-06-23
- Cannes Lions 2013: innovation in marketing - video debate, The Guardian, 2013-06-18
- Cheil wins creative mandate for CITIC Capital's Hefei retail property, Campaign Asia Pacific, 2013-10-03
- How Asian Agencies Become Global Holding Companies, AdAge, 2013-12-27
- DIGITAL: HOMEPLUS SMART VIRTUAL STORE Luerzer's Archive
- Shiv Sethuraman appointed as Cheil group President for South West Asia region, Economic Times of India, 2015-01-06
- Lotta Malm Hallqvist joins Cheil from McCann, Campaign, 2015-01-07
- Kiwi expat Malcolm Poynton moves into global chief creative officer role at Cheil Worldwide, Campaign Brief Asia, 2015-01-16
- Interview with Anis Zantout, Regional Digital Director-Cheil MENA, Media Avataar Me, 2015-01-27
- Mobile to the rescue in Korea's 2014-15 ad spending: Cheil, Digital Market Asia, 2015-02-24