Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
|Chelsea and Westminster Hospital|
|Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust|
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, with St Stephen's Centre on the right, which dates from the previous hospital on the site, St Stephen's Hospital (1876–1989)
|Location||369 Fulham Road
|Affiliated university||Imperial College London|
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital is a 430-bed teaching hospital located in Chelsea, London. Although the Hospital has been at its present site since only 1993, the Hospital has a rich history in that it serves as the new site for the Westminster Hospital. It is operated by Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, and has close ties with Imperial College London. Many of the hospital's employees hold research contracts with Imperial College London, and the hospital plays an integral role in teaching students at Imperial College London.
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital was established in 1993 and brought together staff, services and equipment from five other hospitals in London:
- St Stephen's Hospital (1876–1989), the original hospital on the site
- St Mary Abbot's Hospital (1871–1992), in Marloes Road
- West London Hospital (1856–1993), in Hammersmith Road, known for its maternity services in the 1970s
- Westminster Hospital (1719–1992), in Horseferry Road, and its medical school in Page Street.
- Westminster Children's Hospital (1903–1995), on Vincent Square
The new hospital was designed by the architects Sheppard Robson. It displays many treasures from the old hospitals. Some of these are in the first floor hospital chapel, including a 16th-century painting by Veronese from the Westminster Hospital and stained glass windows from St Mary Abbots and the Westminster Children's Hospitals.
Chelsea and Westminster maintains a range of medical and surgical acute services:
HIV / GUM
The hospital's HIV/GUM Clinical Directorate was established in April 1991, and is today the largest specialist HIV unit in Europe, caring for more than 5,000 HIV patients, and enjoys a worldwide reputation as a centre of excellence in both the care of HIV-positive patients and a wide range of associated clinical research.
Radio Chelsea and Westminster
Radio Chelsea and Westminster is the hospital's own hospital radio station, available for; patients, staff and the local community. It was launched in 1977 to provide music and escapism for patients. Patients are able to listen to the hospital radio on Channel 6 on their hospedia beside unit, or online at www.radiocw.org. The radio station has featured in a number of locations around the hospital it is currently on the second floor of the hospital between lift banks C and D
In 1984, Westminster Hospital Medical School merged with the Charing Cross Hospital Medical School to form Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School. This was part of a series of mergers of London medical schools in the early 1980s, foreshadowing a larger series in the late 1990s, which brought all the institutes together into five large schools. In 1997, as part of the second wave, CXWMS merged with Imperial College, London (and its medical department, St Mary's Hospital Medical School), the National Heart and Lung Institute, and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, to form Imperial College School of Medicine. Chelsea and Westminster Hospital maintains strong ties with Imperial College School of Medicine and is a teaching hospital for students undergoing clinical attachments in various specialties.
- "Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Address".
- "St Stephen's Hospital". Lost hospitals of London. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "St Mary Abbot's Hospital". Lost hospitals of London. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "West London Hospital". Lost hospitals of London. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Westminster Hospital". Lost hospitals of London. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Westminster Children's Hospital". Lost hospitals of London. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Our History". Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. Archived from the original on 22 October 2007. Retrieved 23 November 2007.
- "Chelsea and Westminster Hospital physios help develop hand therapy app". Chartered Society of Physiotherapy. 21 December 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "Unique partnership brings new hope for vaccine to combat HIV". 1 December 2001. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Interview with the Professor Archived 29 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Information about HIV and sexual health Archived 22 November 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "New partnership to accelerate AIDS vaccine testing, equip developing countries for trials". 13 December 2001. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "Radio Chelsea and Westminster – Home". radiocw.org. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Radio Chelsea and Westminster – About". radiocw.org. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Imperial College Health Partners launched". Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. 20 June 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- Chelsea and Westminster Health Charity – owner and curator of the visual art, installation art and sculpture displayed at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- NHS Care Records Service
- Cranio-Orbito-Palpebral service, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI)
- St Stephen's AIDS Trust Clinical Trials Unit
- You Choose – Chelsea and Westminster HIV information site for gay men