Cheltenham Music Festival
Coordinates: The Cheltenham Music Festival is a British music festival, held annually in Cheltenham in the summer months (June, July) since 1945. The festival is renowned for premieres of contemporary music, hosting over 250 music premieres as of July 2004.
John Manduell was the first Programme Director (de facto artistic director) of the festival, for 25 seasons from 1969 to 1994. Subsequent artistic directors of the festival have included Michael Berkeley and Martyn Brabbins. During Brabbins' tenure, the Festival Academy ensemble was established.
The most recent artistic director of the festival has been Meurig Bowen, since 2007. In September 2017, the festival announced that Bowen is to step down from the post in December 2017. In December 2017, the festival announced the appointment of Alison Balsom as its next artistic director, effective in 2018. Balsom is the first woman to be named to the post.
- John Manduell (1969-1994)
- Michael Berkeley (1995-2004)
- Martyn Brabbins (2005-2007)
- Meurig Bowen (2007-2017)
- Alison Balsom (designate, effective 2018)
- Michael Berkeley (2004-07-03). "Out with the old". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-10-15.
- "Sir John Manduell CBE 1928-2017" (Press release). Cheltenham Music Festival. 31 October 2017. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- Tom Service (2006-07-14). "The maestro in me". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-10-15.
- Katy Wright (2017-09-12). "Meurig Bowen steps down as director of Cheltenham Music Festival". Classical Music Magazine. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- "Alison Balsom OBE appointed as Cheltenham Music Festival Artistic Director" (Press release). Cheltenham Music Festival. 15 December 2017. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
|This music festival-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|