Cheltenham railway station, Sydney
|Location||Sutherland Road, Cheltenham|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||25.38 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||1 side, 1 island|
|Opened||10 October 1898|
Cheltenham station opened on 10 October 1898. It was established mainly due to pressure from William Chorley, whose home was located near the station. Chorley prevented commercial development near the station by placing covenants on the surrounding land, which he owned, and so Cheltenham is one of the few stations in Sydney with no shops nearby.
As part of the North Sydney Freight Corridor project, an electrified passing loop was built with the western platform becoming an island. The works included the construction of a new concourse with lifts, which opened on 31 August 2015. The new platform opened on 14 June 2016.
Platforms & services
The station is served by four trains per hour each way, with additional trains during weekday peak hours. During off-peak hours two of these four train services towards Central terminate at Chatswood.
|1||to Epping, Chatswood Central, Strathfield & beyond|
|2||all stations to Hornsby via Pennant Hills|
|3||no booked services||most northbound trains pass through|
North West Rail Link
As part of the original plans for the North West Rail Link it was proposed to upgrade Cheltenham station to four tracks as part of the quadruplication of the line between Epping and Beecroft. There were however no plans for North West Rail Line services to stop at Cheltenham station. Due to complaints by local residents about noise and increased train services, the proposal to route the line through Cheltenham was scrapped, in favour of a tunnel starting at Epping station from the Epping to Chatswood line.
- Cheltenham Station NSWrail.net
- Home Beecroft Cheltenham History Group
- "Northern Sydney Freight Corridor Update" Railway Digest December 2014 pages 28-29
- Epping to Thornleigh Third Track Transport for NSW
- Leighton Contractors & TfNSW in Alliance to deliver Epping to Thornleigh Third Track Project Leighton Contractors 8 March 2013
- Leighton & Abigroup win Epping to Thornleigh Third Track contract Rail Express 20 March 2013
- "1 Northern Sydney Freight Corridor Program Epping to Thornleigh Third Track October 2015 Construction Update" (PDF). Transport for NSW & ETTT Alliance. p. 3. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "Weekly Notice 21" Sydney Trains May 2016 page 5
- "T1: North Shore & Northern line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 20 October 2013 [amended February 2015].
- "Budget Has Cash to Finish Line" Northern District Times 31 May 2006 page 6
- NWRL Environmental Assessment and Concept Plan - Transport Infrastructure Development Corporation
- TIDC North West Rail Link - Preferred Project Report Volume 1 May 2007