Chemeketa Community College
|Type||Public community college|
|President||Dr. Jessica Howard|
|Athletics||Northwest Athletic Conference|
Chemeketa Community College is a public community college in Salem, Oregon, with a campus in McMinnville and education centers in Dallas, Brooks, and Woodburn. In addition to the campuses and centers, the college's Center for Business and Industry in downtown Salem houses the Small Business Development Center and operates classes and programs benefiting area businesses. Chemeketa serves nearly 30,000 students each year in a district that covers 2,600 square miles (6,700 km2) in Marion, Polk, most of Yamhill, and part of Linn counties.
Chemeketa's history began in 1952, when the Salem School District started the Salem Technical-Vocational School to provide training for the unemployed. Two programs, Nursing and Electronics, were offered and were occupied in the school at the corner of 3rd and Gerth St. NW. In 1957, student records were lost in a fire at the district office. In 1969 the college district was formed, and a competition was held to name the new college. The winning entry came from dental assisting student Susan Blum, who wrote in her submission that the term "Chemeketa" means "a peaceful gathering place" in the language of the Kalapuya tribe. In December 1969, the Board of Education approved the name Chemeketa Community College. Property was purchased off Lancaster Street and the current Building 22 was the first official building.
Chemeketa offers Associate of Applied Science degrees and certificates in more than 90 professional-technical programs, as well as Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degrees, Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Science, Associate of Science-Oregon Transfer Business, Associate of Science-Oregon Transfer Computer Science, and an Associate of General Studies degrees.
- Rick Adelman, from 1977 through to 1983, Adelman coached basketball at Chemeketa Community College
- Ryan Bailey, American Track and Field Sprinter
- Austin M. Bibens-Dirkx, pitcher for Major League Baseball team, Texas Rangers
- Grayson Boucher, better known by his nickname "The Professor", professional streetball basketball player
- Shane McCrae, American Poet
- Andy Olson, former member of Oregon House of Representatives
- Rashaad Powell, professional basketball player and coach
- Zac Rosscup, Major League Baseball player
- Ryan Thompson, American professional baseball pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays of Major League Baseball
- "About Chemeketa: Facts & Figures". Archived from the original on March 7, 2016. Retrieved March 23, 2018.
- "Northwest Viticulture Center". Chemeketa Community College. Archived from the original on 2010-10-10. Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- Tims, Dana (September 9, 2010). "Construction begins on long-awaited teaching winery in Roseburg". The Oregonian. Portland, Ore. Archived from the original on 10 September 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- Chemeketa Community College (official website)