Chemeketa Community College
|Chemeketa Community College|
|President||Julie Huckestein |
|Location||Salem, OR, USA|
Chemeketa Community College is a community college located in Salem, Oregon, United States, with a campus in McMinnville and education centers in Dallas, Brooks, and Woodburn, and the Northwest Wine Studies Center in Eola. Chemeketa serves over 30,000 students each year in a district that covers 2,600 square miles (6,700 km2) in Marion, Polk, most of Yamhill, and part of Linn counties.
Chemeketa's history began in 1952, when the Salem School District started the Salem Technical-Vocational School to provide training for the unemployed. In 1969 the college district was formed, and a competition was held to name the new college. The winning entry came from dental assisting student Susan Blum, who wrote in her submission that the term "Chemeketa" means "a peaceful gathering place." In December 1969, the Board of Education approved the name Chemeketa Community College.
In addition to the campuses and centers listed above, the college's Center for Business and Industry in downtown Salem houses the Small Business Development Center and operates classes and programs benefiting area businesses. The college also operates the Eola Viticulture Center which includes a working vineyard and houses its winemaking and vineyard management programs. This viticulture program was the first of its kind in Oregon.
Chemeketa offers Associate of Applied Science degrees in more than 40 professional-technical programs, as well as an Associate of Arts—Oregon Transfer and a General Education degree. Chemeketa Community College is well known for its nursing, fire science, viticulture, and electronics programs.
- Grayson Boucher, better known by his nickname "The Professor", professional streetball basketball player
- "Julie Huckestein Named Chemeketa Interim President". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "About Chemeketa: Facts & Figures". Retrieved 2007-05-19.
- "Northwest Viticulture Center". Chemeketa Community College.
- Tims, Dana (September 9, 2010). "Construction begins on long-awaited teaching winery in Roseburg". The Oregonian (Portland, Ore.). Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- Chemeketa Community College (official website)