Chemical Waste Management, Inc. v. Hunt
|Chemical Waste Management, Inc. v. Hunt|
|Argued April 21, 1992
Decided June 1, 1992
|Full case name||Chemical Waste Management, Inc., petitioner v. Guy Hunt, Governor of Alabama et al., respondents|
|Citations||504 U.S. 334 (more)
112 S.Ct. 2009, 34 ERC 1721, 119 L.Ed.2d 121, 60 USLW 4433, 22 Envtl. L. Rep. 20,909
|Prior history||Hunt v. Chemical Waste Mgmt., Inc. 584 So.2d 1367 (Ala. 1991)|
|No state may attempt to isolate itself from a problem common to the several States by raising barriers to the free flow of interstate trade; a fee on the importation of out-of-state waste constitutes a barrier to interstate trade. Supreme Court of Alabama reversed and case remanded with instructions.|
|Majority||White, joined by Blackmun, Stevens, O'Connor, Scalia, Kennedy, Souter, Thomas|
|Dormant Commerce Clause|
Chemical Waste Management, Inc. v. Hunt, 504 U.S. 334 (1992), was a United States Supreme Court case that held that an Alabama law imposing a fee on out-of-state hazardous waste being disposed of in-state violated the Dormant Commerce Clause. Justice White explained that "No state may attempt to isolate itself from a problem common to the several States by raising barriers to the free flow of interstate trade," relying on Philadelphia v. New Jersey as precedent.
The state law was found to discriminate against out-of-state commerce. Chief Justice Rehnquist dissented arguing that States may wish to avoid the risks to public health and environment by regulating the disposal of hazardous waste.
Rehnquist continued on to say that since taxes are a recognized and effective means for discouraging the consumption of scarce commodities, which he in this case had deemed the environment. Then there was nothing unconstitutional or discriminatory about the state of Alabama's taxes.
- White v. Massachusetts Council of Constr. Employers, Inc., 460 U.S. 204, 206 -208 (1983)
- Reeves, Inc. v. Stake, 447 U.S. 429, 436 -437 (1980)
- Hughes v. Alexandria Scrap Corp. 426 U.S. 794, 810 (1976)
- Emelle, Alabama
- Environmental dumping
- List of United States Supreme Court cases, volume 504
- List of United States Supreme Court cases
- Lists of United States Supreme Court cases by volume
- List of United States Supreme Court cases by the Rehnquist Court
- O'Leary, Rosemary (1997). "Trash Talk: The Supreme Court and the Interstate Transportation of Waste". Public Administration Review (American Society for Public Administration) 57 (4): 281–284. doi:10.2307/977308. JSTOR 977308.
|This article related to the Supreme Court of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|