The small, unincorporated town is located approximately 3.14 miles west of downtown Harvard, Illinois at the junction of Illinois Route 173, Oak Grove Road (County Highway A-20) and Island Road (the continuation of Oak Grove Road south of Route 173). The town straddles the boundary shared by Chemung Township and Dunham Township. In terms of geographic coordinates, Chemung is located at (42.4152964, -88.6667668)  In terms of the Public Land Survey System, Chemung is found in Sections 4 and 5, Township 45 North, Range 5 East; and Sections 32 and 33, Township 46 North, Range 5 East of the Third Principal Meridian. Lawrence Creek flows along the west side of Chemung in a generally northeast to southwest direction, and a freight branch line of the Union Pacific Railroad traverses the town in an east-northeast to west-southwest direction. Chemung is served by the Harvard post office. Chemung has an area of 0.280 square miles (0.73 km2), all land.
Points of interest
Chemung business district: junction of Route 173 and Oak Grove Road; Dean's Dairy: 6303 Maxon Road; Chemung-Dunham Cemetery: southwest corner of Pagles Road / Sinderson Street.
- "Chemung, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "American FactFinder". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "County". Jim Forte Postal History. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- Chicago and North Western Railway Company (1908). A History of the Origin of the Place Names Connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railways. p. 55.
- Chemung, IL, Lat-Long.com. Retrieved on 2009-08-06.
- McHenry County Department of Planning and Development, McHenry County Base Map Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine, 2009-06; McHenry County Division of Transportation Archived 2012-12-24 at Archive.today, Official Highway Map, 2008.
|This McHenry County, Illinois location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|