|Mayor of Beijing|
|Assumed office |
27 May 2017
|Party Secretary||Cai Qi|
|Preceded by||Cai Qi|
|Minister of Environmental Protection|
February 2015 – May 2017
|Preceded by||Zhou Shengxian|
|Succeeded by||Li Ganjie|
|President of Tsinghua University|
February 2012 – January 2015
|Preceded by||Gu Binglin|
|Succeeded by||Qiu Yong|
|Born||February 1964 (age 54)|
Gaizhou, Liaoning, China
|Political party||Communist Party of China|
|Alma mater||Tsinghua University|
Brunel University London
Imperial College London
Chen Jining (simplified Chinese: 陈吉宁; traditional Chinese: 陳吉寧; pinyin: Chén Jíníng; born February 1964) is a Chinese academic and politician, and the current Mayor of Beijing. An environmental engineer by trade, Chen served as the President of Tsinghua University from 2012 to 2015 and Minister of Environmental Protection between 2015 and 2017.
Early life and education
Chen was born and raised in Gaizhou, Liaoning, with his ancestral home in Lishu County, Jilin. In 1981, he attended Tsinghua University, where he graduated with a BSc degree in environmental engineering in 1986. Chen was then educated at Brunel University London, and next at Imperial College London where he earned a PhD degree in civil and environmental engineering in 1993. After graduation he worked as a research assistant at Imperial College London until 1998.
In March 1998 he became the Deputy Director of the Environmental Engineering Department of Tsinghua University, rising to Director the next year. In February 2006 he was Vice-President of Tsinghua University, a year later, he was promoted to become the Executive Vice-President. He concurrently served as Dean of the Graduate School of Tsinghua University from January 2010 to February 2012, Dean of the Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University between January 2010 to July 2011.
In February 2012, Chen was appointed the President of Tsinghua University, he remained in that position until January 2015, when he was appointed Minister of Environmental Protection, People's Republic of China. At the time of his appointment, he was the youngest member of Li Keqiang's cabinet. In 2015, he was also a member of the judging panel for the Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering.
In May 2017, Chen was appointed acting Mayor of Beijing, becoming the 17th person to hold the office since the founding of the People's Republic of China.
- Bo Zhiyue (2015-03-04). "China's New Environmental Minister: A Rising Star". The Diplomat.
- "State Council Appoints Dr. Chen Jining President Tsinghua University". Tsinghua University. 2012-02-21. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02.
- PhD graduate 1993 - Chen Jining - website of Imperial College London
- Chen Jining - website of Tsinghua University
- "Chen Jining: Environmental Protector". China Pictorial. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- 陈吉宁任清华校长. Xinhua News. 2012-02-20. (in Chinese)
- 清华大学校长陈吉宁获任环保部长 成李克强政府最年轻“阁员” (in Chinese). 2015-02-28. Retrieved 2015-03-01.
- "陈吉宁任北京代市长". 新浪综合. 2017-05-27. Retrieved 2017-05-27.
- 全国人大代表信息-陈吉宁 (in Chinese). National People's Congress. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
| Mayor of Beijing
| Minister of Environmental Protection
| President of Tsinghua University