|Chinese name||陳喬恩 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||陈乔恩 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||Chen Qiao En (Mandarin)|
|Jyutping||Can Kiu Jan (Cantonese)|
|Pe̍h-ōe-jī||Tân Kiâu-un (Hokkien)|
|Origin||Hsinchu, Taiwan Republic of China|
4 April 1979 |
Hsinchu, Taiwan Republic of China
|Occupation||Actress, Singer, Writer, Host|
|Label(s)||Chen Qiao En Studios|
|Associated acts||Ming Dao, Wallace Huo|
|Website||Joe Chen on Sina Weibo|
Known as the "Queen of Idol Dramas", Joe is known for her roles in The Prince Who Turns into a Frog (2005), Fated to Love You (2008) and The Queen of SOP (2012). She was nominated at the 43rd Golden Bell Awards for her role in Fated to Love You
In 2013, her popularity rose in China, where she gained a large number of fans for her role as Dongfang Bubai in the Chinese wuxia series Swordsman. Chen also entered the Forbes China Celebrity 100 List for the first time. She established her status as an A-list-er with her roles in popular dramas and movies The Monkey King (2014), Cruel Romance (2015) and Candle in the Tomb (2016). As of 2015, she is listed by Forbes as the 61st most influential celebrity in mainland China.
2001–2004: Career beginnings
In 2002, she began her acting career by taking on a supporting role in the television drama, Lavender. She also became a host for SET variety shows Zhong Guo Na Me Da and Zong Yi Qi Jian, alongside famous Taiwanese hosts Jacky Wu and NONO.
After being neglected by her company for six months, she attracted the attention of SET's executive Zong Limei, who cast her in 100% Senorita (2003). This was her first leading role. The drama became the highest rated Taiwanese drama then, and also achieved moderate success overseas.
In 2004, Joe debuted with Taiwanese girl group 7 Flowers.
2005–2008: Rising popularity
In 2005, Joe had her breakout role in The Prince Who Turns into a Frog. The drama had a peak rating of 8.05, dethroning the previous record held by Meteor Garden to become the highest rated Taiwanese idol drama.
In 2008, Joe starred in Fated to Love You opposite Ethan Juan. The series beats Joe's previous drama, The Prince Who Turns into a Frog to become the highest rated Taiwanese idol drama. Broadcasting rights of the show were sold to 15 countries. The drama was also covered by America's Wall Street Journal. Joe was nominated for Best Actress in a TV Series at the 43rd Golden Bell Awards and was named "Queen of Idol Dramas" by Taipei Times.
2009–2012: Forays in China
In 2011, Joe made her feature film debut in Barbara Wong's romance film, The Allure of Tears.
In 2012, Joe made her return to idol dramas after 4 years in The Queen of SOP. The drama was the highest rated drama in its time slot for the year, and also received positive reviews from audience. She also released an OST for the drama titled "Like to be Lonely", which topped the Baidu Chinese Music Charts for two weeks.
2013–2016: Mainstream popularity and Theater debut
Joe rose to mainstream popularity in China after starring in the Chinese wuxia drama Swordsman, adapted from Louis Cha's novel The Smiling, Proud Wanderer. She portrayed the anti-heroine Dongfang Bubai. Though there were initial doubts to her characters (as Dongfang Bubai is a male in the original novel), Joe later won the hearts of the audience through her complex and rich portrayal of her character. Joe experienced a rise in popularity, and won the Most Popular Actress award at the 5th Anhui TV Drama Awards.
The same year, Joe made her debut in musical theater, starring as the female lead in The Woman on the Breadfruit Tree, based on Amy Cheung's novel of the same name. She was nominated as Best New Actress at the 4th One Drama Presentation for her performance.
In 2014, Joe starred in The Monkey King, portraying Princess Iron Fan. The film was a huge commercial success, grossing US$180 million internationally. She also co-starred in John Woo's romance film Breaking the Continents and Han Han's road-trip comedy The Continent.
In 2015, Joe starred in her first period drama, Cruel Romance alongside Huang Xiaoming. The drama achieved high ratings, and also became a popular topic online with more than 1 billion topics discussion. Joe was awarded Best Actress (Modern) at the 17th Huading Awards for her performance. The same year, Joe starred in another period drama, Destined to Love You, written by Tong Hua.
The same year, Joe returned to theater and reprised her role in The Woman on the Breadfruit Tree. She received acclaim for her performance, and was awarded Best Actress at the 4th Denny Awards. She also made a cameo appearance in the popular youth film, Our Times as the adult version of the female protagonist. Joe next starred in romantic comedies Youth Never Returns and The Queens and cultural drama Forever Love.
In 2016, Joe paired up with Wang Kai for modern romance drama Stay with Me. This is also her first time as a television producer. She co-starred with Jin Dong in the web drama Candle in the Tomb, adapted from the novel Ghost Blows Out the Light. The series received praises for its exciting and fast-paced storyline, actors' performance as well as staying true to the novel.
|2011||The Allure of Tears (傾城之淚)||Zhang Cai|
|2012||Happiness Me Too (幸福迷途)||Song Qi|
|2014||The Monkey King (大鬧天宮)||Princess Iron Fan|
|The Suspicious (最佳嫌疑人)||Angel|
|Breaking the Waves (激浪青春)||Ruan Xiaoyue|
|The Continent (後會無期)||Zhou Mo|
|2015||The Queens (我是女王)||Candy|
|Youth Never Returns (既然青春留不住)||Zhou Hui|
|Our Times (我的少女时代)||Lin Truly (adult)|
|Return of the Cuckoo (十月初五的月光)||Qi Qi|
|Forever Love (北京時間)||Xue Yalan|
|2017||Into the Rainbow (奇迹：追逐彩虹)||Lian|
|2001||Lavender (薰衣草)||Xiao Wei||SETTV|
|2002||My MVP Valentine (MVP 情人)||Fang Yixue / Barbie||SETTV|
|2003||100% Senorita (千金百分百)||Liang Xiaofeng / Zhuang Feiyang||SETTV|
|Lao Nen Da Si (老嫩大细)||Liu Jinxing|
|2004||In Love with a Rich Girl (愛上千金美眉)||Ai Bi (Albee)||TTV|
|Red Woman is Flower (红色女人花)||Luo Qiaoyun||FTV, ONTV|
|2005||The Doctor (大熊医师家)||Xu Xiaoen||TTV, SETTV, CTS||Cameo|
|Sugo||Mei Li||GMA Network||Cameo|
|The Prince Who Turns into a Frog (王子變青蛙)||Ye Tianyu||TTV, SETTV|
|2006||A Game About Love (剪刀·石頭·布)||Ye Duoli||CTS|
|2007||Ying Ye 3 Jia 1 (櫻野3加1)||Xia Tian||TTV, SETTV|
|2008||Fated to Love You (命中注定我愛你)||Chen Xinyi||TTV, SETTV|
|Woody Sambo (无敌珊宝妹)||Chen Xinyi||TTV||Cameo|
|2009||Easy Fortune Happy Life (福氣又安康)||Xie Fuan||TTV, SETTV|
|Let's Dance (守著陽光守著你)||Ding Xiaohan||TTV, SETTV|
|2010||Zhi Xuan Ye Guang Ming (知县叶光明)||Piao Piao||CCTV||Cameo|
|The Girl in Blue (佳期如夢)||You Jiaqi||Hunan TV|
|2011||Youthful and Vibrant Zhu Nine Sister (春光燦爛豬九妹)||Zhu Jiumei||Anhui TV|
|2012||The Queen of SOP (勝女的代價)||Lin Xiaojie||Hunan TV|
|Beauties of the Emperor (美人心计前传)||Lu Yue / Empress Lu Zhi||Zhejiang TV, Shenzhen TV, Shanxi TV|
|2013||Swordsman (笑傲江湖)||Dongfang Bubai||Hunan TV|
|2015||Cruel Romance (錦繡緣華麗冒險)||Rong Jinxiu||Hunan TV|
|Destined to Love You (偏偏喜欢你)||Qian Baobao||Hunan TV|
|2016||Plastic Surgery Season (整容季)||Wang Wenwen (Before)||Youku, Tudou||Cameo|
|Marry a Husband (嫁个老公过日子)||Chen Jiayu||JSTV|
|Stay with Me (放弃我抓紧我)||Li Weiwei||Hunan TV||also producer|
|Candle in the Tomb (鬼吹灯之精绝古城)||Shirley Yang|
|2017||The Legendary Tycoon (传奇大亨)||Rose||TBA||Guest Role|
|Love Actually (人间至味是清欢)||An Qinghuan||Hunan TV|
|The Unique China Queen (独孤皇后)||Dugu Qieluo||TBA|
|2006||2 Sweet||Ehlo Huang||Magicians Of Love OST|
|Don't Understand (Chinese: 不明白)||K One||Love Story of Romeo & Juliet|
|2007||Actually You Understand Me (Chinese: 其实你懂我)||Ying Ye 3 Jia 1 OST|
|Unreasonable Girlfriend (Chinese: 野蛮女友)|
|Believe Once Again (Chinese: 再次相信)||Ming Dao|
|2012||Like to be Lonely (Chinese: 喜欢孤独)||The Queen of SOP OST|
|2016||Yes I Do||Stay with Me OST|
|2007||2nd Tencent Star Award Ceremony||Most Popular Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Won|
|2008||3rd Tencent Star Award Ceremony||Most Popular Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Won|
|43rd Golden Bell Awards||Best Actress||Fated to Love You||Nominated|||
|2010||5th Tencent Star Award Ceremony||Most Popular Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Won|||
|14th Annual Global Chinese Music Channel (Asian Influence Ceremony)||Best Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Won|||
|4th Huading Awards||Best Actress (Contemporary)||Fated to Love You||Won|||
|2012||2012 CETV Asia Top 10 Hottest Asia Award||Top Ten Most Popular Asian Stars||Won|||
|8th Huading Awards||Audience's Favorite TV/Film Star||Nominated|||
|Best Actress (Idol Dramas)||The Queen of SOP||Nominated|
|1st Asian Idol Awards||"00" Generation's Classic Character Award||Won|||
|3rd LeTV Awards||Most Popular Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||The Queen of SOP||Won|||
|2013||5th Anhui TV Drama Awards||Most Popular Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Swordsman||Won|||
|4th China Student Television Festival||Most Popular TV Actress||Nominated|
|2013 Baidu Fudian||Leaping Achievements Award||Won|||
|1st China UTC Broadcasting Award||Idol Artist of the Year||Won|||
|8th Chinese TV Audience Festival||Top Ten Favorite Stars||Swordsman||Won|||
|2nd Asian Idol Awards||Most Popular Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Won|||
|4th One Drama Presentation||Best New Actress||The Woman on the Breadfruit Tree||Won|||
|2014||iQiyi All-Star Carnival||Best Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Swordsman||Won|||
|2015||17th Huading Awards||Best Actress (Modern)||Cruel Romance||Won|||
|18th Shanghai Television Festival (12th China Movie Channel)||Best Actress||Youth Never Returns||Nominated|||
|4th Denny Award for International Excellence in Theatrical Arts||Best Actress||The Woman on the Breadfruit Tree||Won|||
|2016||7th Anhui TV Drama Awards||Most Commercially Valuable Actress||Won|||
|1st China Television Drama Quality Ceremony||Most Charismatic Actress||Won|||
|19th Huading Awards||Best Actress (Modern)||Destined to Love You||Nominated|
|2017||8th Anhui TV Drama Awards||Most Influential Actress (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Won|||
Chen has group of close celebrity friends collectively known as An Corporation. It includes 6 other Taiwanese stars Ady An, Shone An, Esther Liu, Bianca Bai, Linda Liao and Kimi Hsia. She is also known to be good friends with Qiao Renliang.
- "阮经天陈乔恩获封网友心中金钟帝后". Sohu. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "2013 Forbes China Celebrity 100 List, Fan Bingbing is top earner". Jayne Stars. 2013-04-24. Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- "2015 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. 2015-05-13. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- "陈乔恩：因为情绪化所以喜欢演戏". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "吴宗宪《综艺旗舰》再度开上华娱黄金时段". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "林韦君陈乔恩芭比造型庆祝收视率狂飙". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- 《王子变青蛙》打破《流星花园》收视记录. Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "三立都會台自製偶像劇《命中注定我愛你》，在台灣單集最高收視率10.91，最高分段收視率13.64，創偶像劇節目最高記錄". Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "Global Buzz: Why TV Show 'Fated to Love You' Is an Obsession in Taiwan". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "金钟奖戏剧节目女主角奖提名——陈乔恩". Hunan TV. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "陈乔恩首度进军内地拍电视剧 将演"佳期小姐"". Sohu. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "《佳期如梦》湖南卫视热播 陈乔恩内地大放异彩". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "《胜女的代价》收视飙高 传授胜女情感修炼秘籍". Tencent. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "陈乔恩《笑傲江湖》引教主效应 被奉新一代女神". Sohu. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "陈乔恩《面包树上的女人》 张小娴作品首上舞台". Sohu. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "现代戏剧谷2013壹戏剧大赏公布入围名单". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "《大鬧天宮》曝12款海報 衆星陣容強大". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- Nancy Tartaglione and David Bloom (January 10, 2015). "'Transformers 4′ Tops 2014's 100 Highest-Grossing International Films – Chart". deadline.com. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- "《激浪青春》曝角色海报 陈乔恩黄晓明青春洋溢". Tencent. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "韩寒曝《后会无期》预告 定档7月24日". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- ""Cruel Romance " achieves high ratings". Jayne Stars. 2015-03-05.
- "《锦绣缘·华丽冒险》铸造收视神话". Nanning News. 2017-02-26.
- "2015年电视华鼎奖完整获奖名单". Sina. 2017-02-26.
- "陳喬恩變身女教官 飛踢賈乃亮". China Times. 2015-06-21.
- "第四届丹尼奖获奖名单正式公布 《人民公敌》获最佳剧目奖". Union China. 2017-02-26. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "dennytwo" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "张翰陈乔恩《既然青春留不住》入围传媒大奖". Xinhua News Agency. 2017-02-26.
- "陈乔恩撞上宋慧乔 霸气女王发型扑倒男仆团". Sina. 2017-02-26.
- "《北京时间》在京热拍 李保田陈乔恩跨越牵手". Sohu. 2017-02-26.
- "《放弃我抓紧我》稳居收视冠军 女性话题引共鸣". NetEase. 2017-02-26.
- "《鬼吹灯之精绝古城》收视口碑爆棚 弹幕互动也引发热议". Youth.cn. 2016-12-20. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- "2009星光风向标". Tencent. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "第14届全球华语榜中榜颁奖礼获奖名单". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "陈乔恩获第四届华鼎奖电视剧都市类最佳女演员". Youku. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "十大红人盛典众星云集 葛优获年度贡献奖". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "2012华鼎奖中国百强电视剧提名名单". NetEase. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "安徽卫视七夕晚会举行 亚洲偶像盛典花落各家". Tencent. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "第三届乐视影视盛典获奖全名单". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "陈乔恩获得港台人气女演员奖". Sohu. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "2013百度沸点完美落幕 范冰冰李敏镐借位亲吻引尖叫". iQiyi. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "陈乔恩获第一届中国UGC传播大奖年度偶像艺人". Youku. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "第八届观众节两大排行榜揭榜仪式 陈乔恩领奖". CZTV.com. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "荧屏情侣聚《亚洲青春派》 杨幂当制作人获首肯". Tencent. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "爱奇艺尖叫之夜最佳港台电视演员霍建华陈乔恩". iQiyi. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "《煎饼侠》获传媒大奖新人导演和新人演员奖". Sohu. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "2015国剧盛典获奖名单 范冰冰胡歌获最佳". Sina. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "中國電視劇品質盛典落幕 陳喬恩最具魅力". China Times. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "2016-2017安徽卫视国剧盛典获奖名单完整版". KKnews. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joe Chen.|