Chengdu Tianfu International Airport
|Chengdu Tianfu International Airport|
|Serves||Chengdu, Sichuan, China|
|Location||Lujia, Jianyang, Sichuan|
|Elevation AMSL||440 m / 1,444 ft|
Chengdu Tianfu International Airport (Chinese: 成都天府国际机场) is an airport being constructed to serve Chengdu, the capital of China's Sichuan province and a major air hub. The site of the airport has been chosen at Lujia, Jianyang, 51 kilometres (32 mi) south-east of the center of Chengdu. It is also named after the Tianfu New Area, a development zone for Chengdu in which the airport is located (Tianfu means Land of Abundance). Construction began May 2016 and the airport is scheduled to open in 2020. It will operate as a second airport for Chengdu with the existing Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport continuing to operate.
It is intended for Chengdu to become the third largest airport hub in China, after Beijing and Shanghai. The airport will have six runways of Level 4F standard, when all phases are complete, with 2 terminal buildings. This will have a capacity to handle between 80 and 90 million passengers per year. On June 1, 2015, the Sichuan Provincial Airport Group announced a general design scheme for the airport. The winning design was by China Southwest Architectural Design and Research Institute, China Airport Construction Group Corporation and French architectural firm ADP Ingenierie. It features two terminal buildings in the shape of the mythical Sunbird, used as a logo for the city of Chengdu. From a central hollow circular core, 6 arms will radiate outwards with both terminals mirroring the other.
Transportation infrastructure needed to support the new airport site will be constructed in three phases.
Construction to be complete in time for the opening of the new terminal in 2020.
- One expressway from the new airport to Chengdu.
- Ziyang City - Sanchahu Lake (Jianyang City) Highway
- Jianyang City - New Airport - Renshou County Highway
- Chengdu Metro Line 18 - Connection to Chengdu South Railway Station
- Chengdu Metro Line 19 - Connection to existing Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport
- 成都新机场2018年投入运行 成渝高铁明年通车. Sina (in Chinese). 2013-03-05. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- 成都新机场正式落户简阳 五问成都新机场. Sichuan Online (in Chinese). 2013-06-21. Archived from the original on 2014-02-01. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "Blueprint of Chengdu New Airport Published". Go Chengdu. 2015-06-05. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Chengdu Publishes Plan on the New Airport". Go Chengdu. Retrieved 7 December 2015.