12 Dec 1970
|Occupation||film director, film producer, actor|
Cheran is an Indian film director known for his works in Tamil cinema. He is a four time National Film Award winner for Vetri Kodi Kattu (2000), Autograph (2004) and Thavamai Thavamirundhu (2005). He has also won four Tamil Nadu State Film Awards and five South Filmfare Awards
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Social activities
- 4 Criticism
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Awards and honours
- 7 Cinema 2 Home
- 8 Dream Sounds Digital Solutions
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Cheran was born in Pazhaiyurpatty near Madurai. His father Pandian was a Projector Operator in Vellalur touring theatre. His mother Kamala was a primary school teacher. He has two sisters. His childhood dreams were all about the celluloid world. During his school days he acted in dramas.
He came to Chennai to pursue his career in films. Initially he started career as a Production manager in some movies. In the film Puriyaadha Pudhir, he worked as an assistant director to Director K. S. Ravikumar. He was promoted as an associate director from Cheran Pandiyan to Nattamai. He also associated with Kamal Haasan in the movie Mahanadi as an associate director. He made his directorial debut in Bharathi Kannamma a break to his film career through Producer Henry. The film met many controversies. In spite of it, the film was a big box office hit and gave a break to the sinking career of actor Parthiban. With Porkkaalam, Pandavar Bhoomi, and Vetri Kodi Kattu, he gave a hat trick of successful films. He turned actor in director Thangar Bachan's film Solla Marandha Kadhai.
Cheran first began work on a film titled Autograph in 2001, with actor Vikram revealing he had signed on to portray the lead role in the project; though, he later opted out as a result of scheduling problems. Then in early 2002, Cheran announced that he was going to make a film titled Pokkisham and Kanika would star alongside him. However he failed to find a financier and instead moved back to making Autograph. Cheran said that the film was partly autobiographical. Four different cinematographers worked on the film; Ravi Varman had shot the school episode in Senthil’s early life with a 35 mm lens, Vijay Milton shot the Kerala scenes, Dwaraknath shot the Chennai episode with a steady cam and Shanky Mahendran shot the "'live' part" of the film when the camera uses the point of view of Senthil's character.
2004 he produced and directed the film Autograph besides enacting the lead role in it. The film was screened four times at the Montreal World Film Festival, Canada, an honour which he shares with Kamal Haasan and Maniratnam. With Thavamai Thavamirundhu, he has also proved his acting versatility.
Cheran then prepared to work on Pokkisham in 2004, after the release of Autograph but postponed the film after falling out with the new lead actress Meera Jasmine. He re-started work on the film in December 2005, after completing Thavamai Thavamirundhu (2005), and approached Sandhya to play the lead role.
Director Cheran turns publisher with the Tamil novel Porum Valiyum (War & Pain). The novel is an emotional account of a war-torn Sri Lanka. The author Savitri Advithanandhan account was so touching that he decided that the book should reach all people. And as a first step, he launched the publishing house Cheran Noolagam.
Kai kodukkum Kai
This is a team effort. The sole purpose of this is to gather people who share same insights, who’d like to contribute to the capable but deprived brothers and sisters of our society. It is not possible for a lone man to alleviate the sorrow of the society he lives in. This is an effort to lend helping hands as much as he can. He prioritize in providing education, medical facilities and rehabilitate villages. Any activity based on religion or caste is not supported. The first preference goes to the own people of Tamil Nadu. Recommendations will not be encouraged. Services shall be rendered on the basis of need after scrutiny. The decision will be made by a panel. Anyone can participate in this noble effort. A Trust with legal and good financial management handles the responsibilities. Even you can participate and join hands in this if you have intent.
During an audio launch event of Tamil film, Cheran has said 'I feel ashamed that I fought for Sri Lankan Tamils'. His speech was accusing Sri Lankan Tamils for making unauthorized copies of Tamil films. It raised criticism against him. Later, he said he did not mention all Sri Lankan Tamils. However, Sri Lankan Tamils responded that he should not have connected the copyright infringement issue with their revolution and requested not to connect revolution with business, otherwise he should have said that 'I feel ashamed that I fought for some or particular Sri Lankan Tamils'.
|2000||Vetri Kodi Kattu|
|2002||Solla Marandha Kadhai||Sivadhanu|
|2005||Thavamai Thavamirundhu||Ramalingam Muthiah|
|2006||Azhagai Irukkirai Bayamai Irukkirathu|
|Raman Thediya Seethai||Venugopal|
|2011||Yuddham Sei||J. Krishnamoorthi|
|2012||Chennaiyil Oru Naal||Satyamoorthy|
|Moondru Per Moondru Kaadhal||Gunasekar|
|2014||Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam||Himself|
|2015||JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai|
|2016||Rajadhi Raja||Telugu version of JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai|
|Appavin Meesai||Kolkatta Police Inspector||Yet to Release|
|Untitled Agathiyan movie||Pre-production|
Awards and honours
National Film Awards
- 2000 – National Film Award for Best Film on Other Social Issues for Vetri Kodi Kattu
- 2004 – National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment for Autograph
- 2005 – National Film Award for Best Film on Family Welfare for Thavamai Thavamirundhu
- 2007 – National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil for Aadum Koothu
Tamil Nadu State Film Awards
- 1997 – Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Director for Porkaalam
- 1997 – Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film for Porkkaalam
- 2000 – Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Dialogue Writer for Vetri Kodi Kattu
- 2000 – Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film for Vetri Kodi Kattu
- 2001 – Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film for Pandavar Bhoomi
- 2004 – Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Director for Autograph
- 2005 – Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film for Thavamai Thavamirundhu
- 1997 – Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil for Bharathi Kannamma
- 1998 – Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil for Desiya Geetham
- 2001 – Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil for Pandavar Bhoomi
- 2004 – Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil for Autograph
- 2004 – Filmfare Award for Best Film – Tamil for Autograph
- 2004 – Dinakaran-Medimix Awards for Best film – Autograph
- 2004 – Dinakaran-Medimix Awards for Best Director –Autograph
- 2005 – Tamil Nadu progressive writers association awards for Best Writer and Director – Thavamai Thavamirundhu
- 2011 – Jaya TV awards for Best actor – Yudham sei
Cinema 2 Home
2014 Cheran founded a new organization C2H (Cinema2Home), to curb out copyright infringement in the Tamil film industry. C2H would deliver official 5.1 HD Original DVDs on the day of a film's theatrical release, for which C2H signed a pact with DVD maker Moser Baer. Around 150 distributors and 3000 dealers were said to be involved in the process of bringing the DVDs to households across Tamil Nadu. JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai would be the first film to release via C2H.
|2015||JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai||Cheran||Sharwanand, Nithya Menen||Released on 06 Mar 2015|
|Arjunan Kadhali||Parthi Bhaskar||Jai, Poorna|
|Appavin Meesai||Rohini||Cheran Nithya Menen, Salim Kumar|
|Hockey||Mahesh Periyasamy||Anu Hasan|
Dream Sounds Digital Solutions
- "Arts & Culture". Tamilguardian.com. 20 June 2001. Archived from the original on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Nilacharal - A Tamil entertainment ezine presenting interesting contents and useful services".
- "Cheran - It's all about Kollywood".
- "Cheran Profile".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 April 2016. Retrieved 2015-11-09.
- admin (18 January 2013). "Cheran launches publishing house Cheran Noolagam - KOLLY TALK".
- "இலங்கை தமிழர்களுக்கு போராடியது அரு வெறுப்பாக இருக்கிறது - சேரன்". Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Controversial: Film-maker Cheran Says Sri Lankan Tamilians Are Responsible For Piracy!". Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Cheran clarifies about his speech against Sri Lankan Tamils". Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "ஈழமக்களுக்காக உண்ணாவிரதம் இருந்த சேரனை நினைக்கையில் அருவருப்பாக இருக்கிறது!". Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "ஈழத்தமிழர் பற்றிய சேரனின் சாடலுக்கு இலங்கை ரசிகர்கள் கொந்தளிப்பு!". Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Cheran's idea to bring the movies home". 13 July 2014 – via The Hindu.
- "C2H set to invade your drawing room - Times of India".
- Ravikumar, R. (31 December 2014). "In a first, same day release in theatres and on DVD".
- "Cheran Alleges Threats to C2H Dealers".
- Cheran starts own Music Company