|Member of the Philadelphia City Council from the 9th District|
January 4, 2016
|Preceded by||Marian B. Tasco|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 200th district
2005 – December 31, 2015
|Preceded by||LeAnna Washington|
|Succeeded by||Tonyelle Cook-Artis|
Mount Airy, Pennsylvania
|Residence||Mount Airy, Pennsylvania|
|Alma mater||Lincoln University (Pennsylvania), 1994|
|Profession||Project Development Coordinator (2001-2005)|
Cherelle L. Parker (born 1973) is a Democratic member of the City Council of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, representing the Ninth District. She was elected on Nov. 3, 2015 in the general election.
First elected during a September 2005 special election, Parker made history by becoming the youngest African-American woman ever elected to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
She was elected by her Philadelphia colleagues to serve as Chair of the Philadelphia Delegation in the House. She also served on the powerful House Appropriations Committee, Labor and Industry, Professional Licensure, Rules, and Transportation committees. In 2013, she was also appointed Vice Chair/Democratic Chair of the House Committee on School Safety.
Parker is a wife and mother residing in the Mt. Airy section of Philadelphia.
In the fall of 2009, Parker was selected to join the prestigious Eisenhower Fellowships, of which retired Gen. Colin Powell serves as Chairman. In 2010, as part of the Fellowship's "Women in Leadership" program, she traveled to Argentina and Chile to work with and learn from women in the South American political system. She focused on the following areas: understanding how elected officials use public policy to improve the quality of life for their constituency; learning how officials stabilize their communities by bridging the gap between the “haves” and the “have-nots”; and studying how public officials utilize scarce government resources to economically sustain their communities.
Parker's educational achievements are as follows:
- Honorary Doctorate of Divinity, Lutheran Theological Seminary, (2009)
- Certificate of Completion, Senior Executives in State and Local Government,
- Executive Education, Harvard University ~ Kennedy School of Government, (2008)
- Certificate of Completion, Leadership Philadelphia, (2008)
- Delegate to Australia, American Council of Young Political Leaders (ACYPL), (2006)
- Executive Education Certificate, University of Virginia ~ Darden School of Business
- Emerging Political Leaders Program, (2006)
- Bachelor of Science Degree, English Education, Lincoln University, Oxford, PA, (1994)
- Certification, Teacher of English, New Jersey Department of Education, (1994)
Parker is dedicated to effectively using her voice to advocate for the passage of progressive public policies that will enhance the quality of life for the middle class, senior citizens, women, children and families alike while promoting job creation & sustainability, economic development and consumer protection laws.
- "Representative Cherelle L. Parker". Project Vote Smart. 2010-02-06. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "Philadelphia Official Citywide Election Results". www.phillyelectionresults.com. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "2005 Special Election for the 200th Legislative District". Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information. Pennsylvania Department of State. 2004.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Cherelle L. Parker official PA House website
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Cherelle L. Parker (PA) profile
- Follow the Money - Cherelle Parker
- 2006 campaign contributions
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus - Rep. Cherelle L. Parker official Party website