Location in Northampton County and the state of Virginia.
|• Total||1.0 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Land||1.0 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||20 ft (6 m)|
|• Density||485.8/sq mi (187.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1492747|
Cheriton is located at (37.289443, -75.968201).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.0 square miles (2.7 km²), of which, 1.0 square miles (2.7 km²) of it is land and 0.96% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 499 people, 219 households, and 134 families residing in the town. The population density was 485.8 people per square mile (187.1/km²). There were 239 housing units at an average density of 232.7 per square mile (89.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 71.14% White, 27.45% African American, 1.00% from other races, and 0.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.60% of the population.
There were 219 households out of which 22.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.7% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.4% were non-families. 36.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the town the population was spread out with 21.8% under the age of 18, 4.6% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 23.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 79.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $26,429, and the median income for a family was $39,028. Males had a median income of $22,222 versus $16,818 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,238. About 7.8% of families and 11.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.8% of those under age 18 and 19.5% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Cheriton has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- Weekly List Of Actions Taken On Properties: 3/12/12 through 3/16/12
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Yolanda Williams Page (30 January 2007). Encyclopedia of African American Women Writers. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 11–12. ISBN 978-0-313-33429-0. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Climate Summary for Cheriton, Virginia