Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv
|Founded||New York City, 1957|
|Headquarters||New York City|
Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv (formerly Chermayeff & Geismar) is a New York-based branding and graphic design firm. It was founded in 1957 by Yale graduates Ivan Chermayeff and Tom Geismar. The firm has designed logos for such companies as Pan Am, Mobil Oil, PBS, Chase Bank, Barneys New York, The Museum of Modern Art, Xerox, Smithsonian Institution, NBC, Cornell University, National Geographic, State Farm Insurance, and many others. Ivan Chermayeff and Thomas Geismar were awarded the AIGA Medal in 1979. Chermayeff died on December 3, 2017 at the age of 85.
In 2006, designer Sagi Haviv became the third partner at the firm. In 2013 Haviv's name was added to the masthead and the firm became known as Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv. Designer Mackey Saturday joined the firm as a principal in 2016. In 2008, Haviv, Chermayeff and Geismar released a new identity for the Library of Congress, and in 2009 redesigned the logo of the fashion brand Armani Exchange. In recent years, the firm created identities for the Kennedy Center Honors; Hearst Corporation, the Southern Poverty Law Center, The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Conservation International, the Women's Tennis Association, Harvard University Press, State Farm Insurance, Grupo Imagen TV (Mexico), Armani Exchange, and other major institutions.
The firm is known for the exhibits and environmental art installations it has designed, including the Ellis Island Immigration Museum, the Statue of Liberty Museum, two Worlds Fair pavilions (the U.S. pavilions of 1967 and 1970), and the red number 9 at 9 West 57th Street in New York City. In 2008, the new Star-Spangled Banner exhibit designed by the firm opened at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C. The firm also designs motion graphics such as the titles for the Emmy-Award winning PBS documentary series Carrier and in 2009, created a motion graphics display for Alicia Keys’ annual fundraiser for her Keep a Child Alive Foundation.
Identify: Basic Principles of Identity Design in the Iconic Trademarks of Chermayeff & Geismar
In 2011 Sagi Haviv, Tom Geismar and Ivan Chermayeff co-authored the book Identify: Basic Principles of Identity Design in the Iconic Trademarks of Chermayeff & Geismar. The book was published by Print magazine's book imprint, (ISBN 978-1440310324).
National Design Award
In October 2014 the National Design Award for Lifetime Achievement was awarded to Tom Geismar and Ivan Chermayeff by the Smithsonian’s Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum.
- Chermayeff, I; Geismar, T; Geissbuhler, S., (2003) Designing:, New York; Graphis, Inc.
- Chermayeff, Geismar, Inc., (2000) TM, Trademarks Designed by Chermayeff & Geismar, New York; Princeton Architectural Press.
- Amanda Aszman, "Designer of the Week: Mackey Saturday," Print, April 28, 2016.
- "Imprint: The Best Design Blog Written by top Illustrators & Designers". Print Magazine. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "2014 National Design Award Winners," Cooper Hewitt, 2014.
- Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv official website
- Excerpt of Identify in Fast Co. Design
- How To Design A Logo by Sagi Haviv in Bloomberg Businessweek How To Issue, 2012
- What A Campaign Logo Is Really Saying in Bloomberg Politics
- Campaign Logos in Review, NBC
- Interview with Haviv on Bloomberg Businessweek
- How To Create An Iconic Trademark, Salon Magazine
- Chermayeff & Geismar in BusinessWeek's "World's Most Influential Designers"
- New York Times announcing Sagi Haviv's name being added to the firm's masthead
- Women's Wear Daily piece on Haviv Armani Exchange logo redesign
- Chermayeff & Geismar Collection in the Milton Glaser Design Study Center and Archives
- New York Times Profile
- New York Times Feature
- Film Credits, Carrier
- Haviv Interview, Chronicle of Higher Education
- New York Times Book Review of TM: Trademarks Designed by Chermayeff & Geismar (Princeton Architectural Press. 2001)
- New York Times piece on Lincoln Center logo
- Ivan Chermayeff and Thomas Geismar
- LogoDesignLove Profile
- Video interview with Ivan Chermayeff
- Interview with Sagi Haviv