|Awarded for||Lifelong achievement in Mathematics|
|Country||Hosted every four years, at a varying location|
|Presented by||International Mathematical Union (IMU)|
The Chern Medal is an international award recognizing outstanding lifelong achievement of the highest level in the field of mathematics. The prize is given at the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM), which is held every four years.
It is named in honor of the late Chinese mathematician Shiing-Shen Chern. The award is a joint effort of the International Mathematical Union (IMU) and the Chern Medal Foundation (CMF) to be bestowed in the same fashion as the IMU's other three awards (the Fields Medal, the Nevanlinna Prize, and the Gauss Prize), i.e. at the opening ceremony of the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM), which is held every four years. The first such occasion was at the 2010 ICM in Hyderabad, India.
Each recipient receives a medal decorated with Chern's likeness, a cash prize of $250,000 (USD), and the opportunity to direct $250,000 of charitable donations to one or more organizations for the purpose of supporting research, education, or outreach in mathematics.
|2010||Louis Nirenberg||"For his role in the formulation of the modern theory of non-linear elliptic partial differential equations and for mentoring numerous students and post-docs in this area".|
|2014||Phillip Griffiths||"For his groundbreaking and transformative development of transcendental methods in complex geometry, particularly his seminal work in Hodge theory and periods of algebraic varieties"|
|2018||Masaki Kashiwara||"For his outstanding and foundational contributions to algebraic analysis and representation theory sustained over a period of almost 50 years."|
- Fields Medal
- Gauss Prize
- International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM)
- International Mathematical Union (IMU)
- Nevanlinna Prize
- List of mathematics awards
- "Shiing-Shen Chern Mathematics Award". Chinese Mathematical Society.
- "Chern Medal Award". International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM). 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-08-25. Retrieved Aug 22, 2010.
- "Chern Medal – Louis Nirenberg". ICM 2010. August 19, 2010. Retrieved Aug 22, 2010.
- "Chern Medal Award 2014". mathunion.org. International Mathematical Union.
- "Phillip Griffiths Awarded Chern Medal". Institute for Advanced Study.
- "Chern Medal Award 2018". mathunion.org. International Mathematical Union.