|Created by||Craig Mazin|
|Directed by||Johan Renck|
|Country of origin|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||5 (list of episodes)|
Chernobyl is an upcoming historical drama television miniseries created by Craig Mazin. The series, a co-production between American cable network HBO and British television network Sky, is set to premiere in both the United States and the United Kingdom on May 6, 2019. The series depicts the Chernobyl disaster that occurred in Ukrainian SSR in 1986.
Chernobyl dramatizes "the true story of one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history" and tells of the brave men and women who sacrificed to save Europe from unimaginable disaster. The miniseries focuses on the heartbreaking scope of the nuclear plant disaster that occurred in USSR in April 1986, revealing how and why it happened and telling the shocking, remarkable stories of the heroes who fought and fell."
Cast and characters
- Jared Harris as Valery Legasov
- Stellan Skarsgård as Borys Shcherbina
- Emily Watson as Ulyana Khomyuk
- Paul Ritter as Anatoly Dyatlov
- Jessie Buckley as Lyudmyla Ignatenko
- Adrian Rawlins as Nikolai Fomin
- Con O'Neill as Viktor Bryukhanov
- Sam Troughton
- Adam Nagaitis as Vasily Ignatenko
- Barry Keoghan
- Ralph Ineson
- Mark Lewis Jones
- Fares Fares
- David Dencik
- Billy Postlethwaite as Stolyarchuk
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date ||U.S. viewers|
|1||"1:23:45"||Johan Renck||Craig Mazin||May 6, 2019||TBD|
|2||"Please Remain Calm"||Johan Renck||Craig Mazin||May 13, 2019||TBD|
|3||"Open Wide, O Earth"||Johan Renck||Craig Mazin||May 20, 2019||TBD|
|4||"The Happiness of All Mankind"||Johan Renck||Craig Mazin||May 27, 2019||TBD|
|5||"Vichnaya Pamyat"||Johan Renck||Craig Mazin||June 3, 2019||TBD|
On July 26, 2017, it was announced that HBO had given a series order to Chernobyl, their first co-production with Sky Television. The five-episode miniseries was written by Craig Mazin and directed by Johan Renck. Mazin was also expected to serve as an executive producer alongside Carolyn Strauss and Jane Featherstone, with Chris Fry and Renck acting as co-executive producers.
On March 11, 2019, it was announced that the miniseries will premiere on May 6, 2019.
Simultaneously with the initial series announcement, it was confirmed that Jared Harris would star in the series. On March 19, 2018, it was announced that Stellan Skarsgård and Emily Watson had joined the main cast. In May, 2018, it was announced that Paul Ritter, Jessie Buckley, Adrian Rawlins and Con O'Neill also had joined the cast. 
Principal photography reportedly began in April 2018 in Lithuania. Initial filming had begun on May 13, 2018 in Fabijoniškės, a dormitory suburb in Vilnius, Lithuania and was used to portray the city of Pripyat, since the district maintained authentic Soviet atmosphere. Area of densely built panel housing apartments served as a location for the evacuation scenes. Director Johan Renck heavily criticized the amount of diverse and eye-catching modern windows in the houses, but was not concerned about removing them in post. At the end of March, the production moved to Ignalina, Lithuania to shoot both exterior and interior of the Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant, a decommissioned nuclear power station that is sometimes referred to as "Chernobyl's sister" due to the visual resemblance and nuclear reactor type used at both Chernobyl and Ignalina (RBMK nuclear power reactor). In early June, production moved to Ukraine to shoot minor final scenes. The filming of Chernobyl took 16 weeks.
- Petski, Denise (July 26, 2017). "'Chernobyl' Miniseries Starring 'The Crown's Jared Harris Set By HBO & Sky – TCA". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 24, 2017.
- "Chernobyl". HBO. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Chernobyl – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- "Chernobyl 01: 1:23:45". HBO. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- "Chernobyl 02: Please Remain Calm". HBO. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- "Chernobyl 03: Open Wide, O Earth". HBO. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- "Chernobyl 04: The Happiness of All Mankind". HBO. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- "Chernobyl 05: Vichnaya Pamyat". HBO. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Littleton, Cynthia (July 26, 2017). "HBO Sets 'Chernobyl' Miniseries to Star Jared Harris". Variety. Retrieved November 24, 2017.
- HBO Miniseries Chernobyl Sets May Premiere Date
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 19, 2018). "'Chernobyl': Stellan Skarsgård & Emily Watson To Star In HBO & Sky's Miniseries". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- Petski, Denise; Petski, Denise (2018-05-23). "'Chernobyl': Paul Ritter, Jessie Buckley, Adrian Rawlins & Con O'Neil Among Cast Additions For HBO/Sky Miniseries". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "Fabijoniškėse filmuojamo „Černobylio" režisierius pakeitė požiūrį į branduolinę energiją: tai pabaisa, kurios negalime suvaldyti". 15min.lt (in Lithuanian). Retrieved 2019-04-01.
- "Prodiuserė: HBO projektas Lietuvoje paliks ne mažiau 7 mln. eurų". 15min.lt (in Lithuanian). Retrieved 2019-04-01.