Cherokee (web server)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original author(s)||Álvaro López Ortega, Cherokee Project|
1.2.103 / April 21, 2013
|Operating system||Cross-platform |
|Available in||English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, Catalan, Galician|
Cherokee is an open-source cross-platform web server that runs on Linux, BSD variants, Solaris, OS X, and Windows. It is a lightweight, high-performance web server/reverse proxy licensed under the GNU General Public License. Its goal is to be fast and fully functional yet still light. Major features of Cherokee include a graphical administration interface named cherokee-admin, and a modular light-weight design.
Web server features
- TLS and SSL 
- Virtual servers 
- URL rewriting and redirections supporting regular expressions
- Authentication via htdigest, htpasswd, LDAP, MySQL, PAM, plain, and fixed list.
- Reverse HTTP proxy
- HTTP load balancing
- Traffic shaping
- Custom and Apache compatible log format.
- Ability to launch web applications on demand
- Audio/video streaming
- On the fly gzip and deflate compressions
- Resilient to the 10000 simultaneous connections barrier
- Server Side Includes (SSI)
- uWSGI support 
- RRDtool statistics
- Database bridging and sharding (DBSlayer-like)
- Graphical configuration interface
- Point & click deployments through an application market 
Configuration wizards are provided to automatically configure the web server to perform specific tasks, or run frameworks and applications. These provide support for:
- Comparison of web servers
- Traffic Server
- Web accelerator which discusses host-based HTTP acceleration
- Proxy server which discusses client-side proxies
- Reverse proxy which discusses origin-side proxies
- "Cherokee - Ohloh". Ohloh.net. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Cherokee Downloads". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "Cherokee license".
- Frommel, Oliver. "FEATHERWEIGHTS - Linux Magazine Online". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Installing Cherokee With PHP5 And MySQL Support On Ubuntu 11.04". Linux.com. 10 August 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- "Cherokee vs Apache Benchmarks". Dynamic Hosting.
- "Cherokee vs Apache : An alternate web server". Craig Strong. Archived from the original on 2012-02-26.
- Contributors and metrics about Cherokee Project
- "TLS/SSL Cookbook". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Virtual Servers". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Supported authentication mechanisms". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Supported logging styles". Cherokee project. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Cherokee uWSGI support". Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- "Application deployment with Cherokee Market". Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- "Recipes for specific tasks". Retrieved 2010-09-16.