|Publisher||Alfred A. Knopf|
|August 14, 2018|
Cherry is a 2018 debut novel by American author Nico Walker. It concerns an unnamed narrator's time in college, as a soldier during the War in Iraq, and life as a drug addict and bank robber after returning from the war during the midst of the American Opioid epidemic. It was published by Alfred A. Knopf on August 14, 2018.
A young man drops out of college and enlists in the Army. He comes home in a poor state, becomes addicted to opiates, and starts robbing banks.
Walker has been in a federal prison in Ashland, Kentucky, for bank robbery since 2013, and is scheduled to be released in November 2020. Walker wrote the book on a typewriter over the course of several years.
Janet Hansen, a designer at Alfred Knopf, created the book cover, which features a skull. Walker's literary agent dismissed an earlier version as it "[looked] like it should be sold in Hot Topic".
The book was published to positive reviews and "near-universal praise" as per the review aggregator website Book Marks and Vulture.com, respectively. Book Marks reported that 54% of critics gave the book a "rave" review, whilst 31% of the critics expressed "positive" impressions, based on a sample of 13 reviews.
Due to Walker's imprisonment, his consideration of offers to adapt the book into a film took longer than usual when he exhausted his allotted phone time. Days after the book's publication, the movie rights were acquired for $1 million by Joe and Anthony Russo's studio AGBO, with the brothers planning to direct and produce, and the script to be written by Jessica Goldberg.
- Alter, Alexandra (10 August 2018). "How a Young War Veteran Became a Serial Bank Robber, Then a Novelist". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- Kaplan, Ilana (5 September 2018). "Army Medic, Addict, Bank Robber, Novelist: How Nico Walker Wrote New Book 'Cherry'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Charles, Ron (17 August 2018). "The alternative covers for Nico Walker's hit novel 'Cherry' look nothing like the final version". Washington Post. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Hansen, Janet (16 August 2018). "THE TROUBLE WITH DESIGNING A BOOK WHEN ITS AUTHOR IS IN JAIL". LitHub. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Cherry". Book Marks. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- Rathburn, Daniel (22 August 2018). "Nico Walker's Cherry Got Near-Universal Praise". Vulture. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- "First a Decorated War Vet, Then a Bank Robber, Now a Best-Selling Novelist". The New York Times. 24 August 2018. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- Fleming, Mike (16 August 2018). "Hot 'Cherry' Book Auction Handcuffed Because Imprisoned Author Has Run Short Of Phone Call Minutes". Deadline. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (24 August 2018). "AGBO Nearing $1M 'Cherry' Book Deal; 'Avengers: Infinity War's Russo Bros Eye Directing". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- McNary, Dave (24 August 2018). "Russo Brothers Close Deal to Direct PTSD Drama 'Cherry'". Variety. Retrieved 30 August 2018.