Cherry Bomb (The Runaways song)
|Single by The Runaways|
|from the album The Runaways|
|Released||March 16, 1976|
|The Runaways singles chronology|
"Cherry Bomb" is the debut single by the all-female band the Runaways from their self-titled debut album. "Cherry Bomb" was ranked 52nd on VH1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs and peaked at number 6 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart. The song is featured in the films Guardians of the Galaxy and Wreck it Ralph.
Rhythm guitarist/back-vocalist Joan Jett composed the song with Kim Fowley, the band's then-manager. In the 2005 documentary Edgeplay: A Film About the Runaways, Fowley and former Runaways lead singer Cherie Currie claimed that "Cherry Bomb" was quickly written just for Currie to audition for the band because the band members could not perform the song she originally chose to sing.
The song was included in the soundtrack for the 2014 film Guardians of the Galaxy, in the 2nd episode of the 2019 Amazon Prime series The Boys, and in the 2021 Netflix film Fear Street Part Two: 1978.
Jett re-recorded the song with her band the Blackhearts for the 1984 album Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth. Cherie Currie also re-recorded "Cherry Bomb" with Marie Currie, her twin sister, on their 1997 re-released version of the album Messin' with the Boys.
- Cherie Currie - lead vocals
- Lita Ford - lead guitar
- Joan Jett - rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Sandy West - drums, backing vocals
- Nigel Harrison - bass-guitar
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||57|
|US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100||6|
- 52nd Greatest Hard Rock Song Archived February 12, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 261. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Whitburn, Joel (1998). Bubbling Under Singles & Albums. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. p. 311. ISBN 0-89820-128-4.