Cherry Bomb (The Runaways song)
Cover of the 1976 Japan single
|Single by The Runaways|
|from the album The Runaways|
|The Runaways singles chronology|
"Cherry Bomb" is a 1976 punk-influenced hard rock single by the all-female band the Runaways from their self-titled debut album, and is often regarded as the band's signature song. "Cherry Bomb" was also ranked 52nd on VH1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs. It peaked at number 6 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart in the U.S.
Singer/guitarist Joan Jett composed the song with Kim Fowley, the band's then-manager. In the 2005 documentary Edgeplay: A Film About the Runaways, Fowley and former Runaways lead singer Cherie Currie claimed that "Cherry Bomb" was quickly written just for Currie to audition for the band because the band members could not perform the song she originally chose to sing.
Jett re-recorded the song with her band the Blackhearts for the 1984 album Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth. Cherie Currie also re-recorded "Cherry Bomb" with Marie Currie, her twin sister, on their 1997 re-released version of the album Messin' with the Boys.
- Cherie Currie - lead vocals
- Joan Jett - rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Lita Ford - lead guitar
- Sandy West - drums, backing vocals
- Jackie Fox - backing vocals
- Nigel Harrison - bass
|US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100||106|
- The Runaways' version of "Cherry Bomb" was used in the television film Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway (1976) as well as the film Dazed and Confused (1993), and was included on the latter film's soundtrack album.
- "Cherry Bomb" was re-recorded by Jett and Currie for use in the 2010 video game Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock as a playable song.
- The 1984 cover version of "Cherry Bomb" by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts was used as the main menu theme in the 2012 title Lollipop Chainsaw.
- The "Cherry Bomb" refrain is sung by Jojo Levesque in a scene of the 2006 movie RV. Levesque had to be trained to sing the song poorly for humorous effect.
- "Cherry Bomb" was covered by Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart (who played Currie and Jett, respectively) for the biographical film The Runaways (2010).
- Joan Jett recorded a live version backed by L7 for inclusion on the benefit album Spirit of '73: Rock for Choice.
- Currie performed "Cherry Bomb" with Warehouse 13 star Allison Scagliotti in the series' Season 4 episode "Runaway" (2013).
- The song is heard in the Marvel Studios film Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), during the opening moments of the film's climactic battle sequence. It is also included on the film's soundtrack.
- The song, in the Blackhearts version, was also used in a promotional spot for the second season of the Netflix series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
- The song is used in season 30, episode 18 of The Simpsons
- Appeared in The O.C. episode "Man of the Year".
- 52nd Greatest Hard Rock Song Archived February 12, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Whitburn, Joel (1998). Bubbling Under Singles & Albums. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. p. 311. ISBN 0-89820-128-4.
- "Dazed And Confused". September 28, 1993 – via Amazon.
- Blabbermouth.net news Archived July 30, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- on YouTube
- "YouTube". www.youtube.com.
- Jagernauth, Kevin. "'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Soundtrack Features David Bowie, Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, The Runaways & More - IndieWire". blogs.indiewire.com. Archived from the original on July 6, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.