Cherry Creek Shopping Center
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Cherry Creek Shopping Center, also known as Cherry Creek Mall, is an upscale shopping mall about three and half miles southeast of downtown Denver, Colorado in the Cherry Creek Neighborhood. It is situated along East First Avenue on the banks of Cherry Creek.
Cherry Creek Shopping Center is one of the premiere shopping destinations in Colorado. It is an enclosed shopping mall housing more than 160 specialty shops and restaurants.
Cherry Creek Mall opened in 1990, and is anchored by three department stores; Neiman Marcus, Macy's, and Nordstrom. Other than the shops in Aspen, Cherry Creek Shopping Center is the exclusive location of several luxury retailers in Colorado. Saks Fifth Avenue closed in March 2011 and became Restoration Hardware in 2015. The mall is home to many international brands like Louis Vuitton, Faconnable, Burberry, and Brooks Brothers.
Located in the Cherry Creek North Shopping District between 1st and 2nd Avenues and in between Detroit and Fillmore Streets, this project is set for completion in Winter 2008 - 2009. It will include both shopping and residential units consisting of a condominium building above, "Courtyard Flats", and Brownstones. NorthCreek Shops will include: Hermès, The North Face and BCBG Max Azria.
Before the shopping center
The shopping center is a triumph of mined land reclamation. Before the shopping center, sand was mined from a large pit. After it was mined out, the city used the pit as a sanitary landfill in the 1940s. After the pit was filled with trash, the first Cherry Creek shopping center was built atop the dump. (Matthew J. Sheridan (1970) Urbanization and its Impact on the Mineral Aggregate Industry in the Denver, Colo., Area, US Bureau of Mines, Information Circular 8320)
- Nordstrom - "(Opened 2007) in former 2nd Lord and Taylor location
- Macy's - ( Originally to be The Denver merged with and opened as May D&F merged with Foley's, became Macy's in 2006)
- Restoration Hardware - (Opened 1990 as Saks Fifth Avenue, closed 2011, became Restoration Hardware in 2015)
- Neiman Marcus - (Opened 1991)"
- Lord & Taylor - (Opened in 1990, closed 2005, became Nordstrom in 2007)
- Saks Fifth Avenue - (Opened in 1990, closed in 2011, became Restoration Hardware in 2015)
Best Store in Cherry Creek Award
- 2009 - Pekoe Sip House at Origins
- 2008 - The Container Store
- 2007 - Macy's
- 2006 - Tattered Cover Book Store
- 2005 - Ten Thousand Villages
- 2004 - Anthropologie
- 2003 - Creator Mundi
- 2001 - Metropolitan Museum of Art Gift Shop
- 2000 - Illuminations