|Archdeacon of Rochdale|
|Church||Church of England|
|Province||Province of York|
|Diocese||Diocese of Manchester|
|In office||September 2008 to present|
|Birth name||Cherry Elizabeth Vann|
29 October 1958 |
Whetstone, Leicestershire, England
|Alma mater||Royal College of Music
Westcott House, Cambridge
Early life and education
Vann was born on 29 October 1958 in Whetstone, Leicestershire, England. She studied piano and violin at the Royal College of Music, becoming an Associate of the Royal College of Music (ARCM) diploma in 1978 and a Graduate of the Royal Schools of Music (GRSM) diploma in 1980. The GRSM is equivalent to a bachelor's degree.
Vann was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1989. She served as parish deacon at St Michael's Church, Flixton from 1989 to 1992 and at St Peter's Church, Bolton from 1992 to 1994. She was ordained as a priest in 1994; this was the first year that women were ordained to the priesthood in the Church of England. From 1994 to 1998, she was a assistant curate at St Peter's Church, Bolton. Additionally, she served as a chaplain at the Bolton Institute of Higher Education between 1992 and 1998.
From 1998 to 2004, Vann was Team Vicar of the East Farnworth and Kearsley Team Ministry. She was additionally a Chaplain for Deaf People between 1998 and 2004. She was then the incumbent of the Team Ministry, serving as Team Rector from 2004 to 2008. She also served as Area Dean of Farnworth between 2005 and 2008. In 2007, she was made an honorary canon of Manchester Cathedral.
In May 2008, Venn was announced as the next Archdeacon of Rochdale. In September 2008, she took up the appointment, having been installed as archdeacon during a service at Manchester Cathedral. She was the first woman to become one of the senior priests (either an archdeacon or a dean) in the Diocese of Manchester.
In February 2013, Vann was elected Prolocutor of the Lower House of the Convocation of York. As such, she is also an ex-officio member of the Archbishops' Council. In January 2016, she was re-elected having stood unopposed.
- ‘VANN, Ven. Cherry Elizabeth’, Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012 accessed 25 June 2013
- "New Archdeacon of Rochdale". Diocese of Manchester. Church of England. 21 May 2008. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Cherry Elizabeth Vann". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 2 February 2016. (subscription required)
- "Now the Rev Cherry becomes a canon". The Bolton News. 5 July 2007. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Supporting, encouraging, resourcing, meet the new Archdeacon of Rochdale". Rochdale Online. 15 August 2008. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "New appointment for Archdeacon Cherry". Diocese of Manchester. Church of England. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Elections and appointments". General Synod. Church of England. 6 January 2016. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "GENERAL SYNOD ELECTIONS" (pdf). Retrieved 2 February 2016.
|Church of England titles|
|Archdeacon of Rochdale
2008 to present
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|