From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Chersonesos)
The term appears in various ancient toponyms:
- Chersonesus, an ancient city and archaeological site near Sevastopol. The name Chersonesus Taurica was also extended to the entire Crimean Peninsula.
- Chersonissos, Crete, Greece, a village near the historical harbour of Lyctus.
- Chersonesos (Sicily), an ancient Greek colony in Sicily, Italy.
- Chersonesos (Thrace), an ancient Greek colony in what is today the Gallipoli peninsula
- Taurica or Chersonesus Taurica, today known as the Crimean Peninsula
- Gallipoli, Turkey, was called Chersonesus Thracica in antiquity.
- Jutland Peninsula, Denmark, was called Chersonesus Cimbrica in antiquity.
- Malay Peninsula, Malaysia, was called Chersonesus Aurea in antiquity.
|This disambiguation page lists articles about distinct geographical locations with the same name.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.