Cheshire County Cricket Club
|Home ground:||Ellerman Lines Cricket Ground|
|FP Trophy wins:||1|
|Official website:||Cheshire County Cricket Club|
The team is currently a member of the Minor Counties Championship Western Division and plays in the MCCA Knockout Trophy. Cheshire played List A matches occasionally until 2004 but is not classified as a List A team per se. The club does not have a base but plays matches around the county at Boughton Hall in Chester, Nantwich, New Brighton, Grappenhall Tattenhall and at Moss Lane, Alderley Edge.
- Minor Counties Championship (5) - 1967, 1985, 1988, 2007, 2013; shared (2) - 2001, 2005, 2013
- MCCA Knockout Trophy (3) - 1983, 1987, 1996
- MCCA T20 Cup (1) - 2015
Cricket may not have reached Cheshire until the 18th century. The earliest reference to the game being played there is in 1781. This was a match played on Brinnington Moor in August 1781 which was reported in the Manchester Journal on 1 September 1781.
Origin of club
According to Wisden there was a county organisation as early as 1819. The present club was founded on 29 September 1908 and entered the Minor Counties Championship for the first time the following year, 1909.
Cheshire played its first List A match against Surrey on 6 May 1964, in the first round of the Gillette Cup at the Ellerman Lines Cricket Ground, Hoylake. Cheshire has won the Minor Counties Championship five times, and twice shared the title. It won the title outright in 1967, 1985, 1988, 2007 and 2013. It shared the accolade in 2001 with Lincolnshire and in 2005 with Suffolk.
Cheshire has won the MCCA Knockout Trophy three times since its inception in 1983. It won in 1983, 1987 and 1996.
Cheshire won the MCCA T20 Cup in 2015, the first season in which it was held. The tournament was dropped for 2016.
- Warren Goodwin
- Calum Rowe
- Rick Moore
- Lee Dixon (c)
- Rob Jones
- Danny Lamb
- Will Owen
- Ryan Brown
- Jack Williams
- Ash Davis
- Danny Woods
The following Cheshire cricketers also made an impact on the first-class game:
- "List A events played by heshire". CricketArchive. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Bowen, p.266
- G. B. Buckley, Fresh Light on Pre-Victorian Cricket, Cotterell, 1937
- Bowen, p.370
- "List A Matches played by Cheshire". CricketArchive. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- Rowland Bowen, Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development, Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1970
- E W Swanton (editor), Barclays World of Cricket, Guild, 1986
- Playfair Cricket Annual – various editions
- Wisden Cricketers' Almanack – various editions
|This article about a cricket team in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|