Cheshire Township, Gallia County, Ohio
|Cheshire Township, Gallia County, Ohio|
Location of Cheshire Township in Gallia County
|• Total||30.8 sq mi (79.9 km2)|
|• Land||30.3 sq mi (78.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||823 ft (251 m)|
|• Density||33/sq mi (12.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086133|
Cheshire Township is one of the fifteen townships of Gallia County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 1,002, down from 1,259 at the 2000 census. In 2010, 132 residents lived in the village of Cheshire within the township, while 870 lived in the unincorporated portion of the township.
Located in the northeastern corner of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Rutland Township, Meigs County - north
- Salisbury Township, Meigs County - northeast
- Addison Township - south
- Springfield Township - southwest corner
- Morgan Township - west
- Salem Township, Meigs County - northwest corner
The farthest upstream Ohio River township in the county, it includes Gallia County's farthest east point.
The village of Cheshire is located in southeastern Cheshire Township.
Name and history
It is the only Cheshire Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Cheshire township, Gallia County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- Gallia County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.