Chester Road railway station
Chester Road station, looking towards Erdington
|Managed by||London Midland|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||Transport for West Midlands|
|Original company||London and North Western Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1 December 1863||Station opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Chester Road from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Chester Road railway station is a railway station serving the Pype Hayes and Erdington areas of north-east Birmingham, in the West Midlands county of England. It is situated on the Redditch-Birmingham New Street-Lichfield Cross-City Line.
It is a park and ride station, and has a free car park which was expanded in May 2006.
The line from Aston to Sutton Coldfield was built by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) in 1862, although Chester Road station was not opened until 1 December 1863. The LNWR became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1921, as part of the Grouping, which was nationalised to become part of British Railways at the beginning of 1948. The station booking office and waiting room were rebuilt in 1991-1992 during the electrification of the line. The original LNWR station waiting room was dismantled, and moved Market Bosworth, another former LNWR station, on the preserved Battlefield Line Railway.
The station is served by London Midland with local Network West Midlands branded "Cross-City" services, operated by Class 323 electrical multiple units. The station is served by six trains an hour in each direction, with an average journey time to Birmingham New Street of around 13 minutes.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Access for disabled passengers
There are ramps providing step-free access to both platforms at Chester Road.
The station serves:
- The Wylde Green shopping area
- Jowett, Alan (1993). Jowett's Atlas of Railway Centres: of Great Britain showing their development from the earliest times up to and including the 1990s - Volume 1 (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 141. ISBN 1-8526-0420-4. OCLC 30919645.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 60. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- "Market Bosworth station". Retrieved 6 October 2010.
- GB National Rail Timetable May 2016 Edition, Table 69 (Network Rail)
- Train times and station information for Chester Road railway station from National Rail
- Rail Around Birmingham and the West Midlands: Chester Road railway station
- Warwickshire Railways page
|This article about a West Midlands building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a railway station in the West Midlands region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|