Location of Chesterland, Ohio
|• Total||4.39 sq mi (11.37 km2)|
|• Land||4.38 sq mi (11.34 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
|Elevation||1,214 ft (370 m)|
|• Density||576/sq mi (222.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1060956|
The town center of Chesterland is located at the intersection of U.S. Route 322 and State Route 306. US-322 leads east 24 miles (39 km) to Orwell and west 19 miles (31 km) to downtown Cleveland, while SR 306 leads north 8 miles (13 km) to the center of Kirtland and south 9 miles (14 km) to Bainbridge. The commercial district of Chesterland spans out from this intersection in all directions.
Chesterland is part of the Chagrin Valley area, which is defined by the cities and villages along the Chagrin River.
As of the census of 2010, the population was 2,521, including 990 households, and 685 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 573.0 people per square mile (221.2/km²). There were 1,052 housing units at an average density of 239.1/sq mi (92.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.6% White, 0.9% African American, 0.4% Asian, and 1.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.4% of the population.
There were 685 households with children, out of which 25.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.5% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 25.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, and 19.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46.7 years. For every 100 females there were 93.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $55,781, and the median income for a family was $62,917. Males had a median income of $46,490 versus $33,079 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $26,168. About 3.2% of families and 3.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.8% of those under age 18 and 2.5% of those age 65 or over.
Chesterland lies entirely in the West Geauga school district, and shares this district with neighboring Russell Township. There are two elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school, West Geauga High School. A third elementary school, Chester Elementary, served the community for many years but closed in the 1980s.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Chesterland CDP, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- "Geauga County". Jim Forte Postal History. Archived from the original on 12 September 2005. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- "Chester Township History". Chester Township, OH. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.