São Caetano do Sul, Brazil (GM do Brasil)|
Bekasi, Indonesia (February 2013-June 2015)
Matt Noone (exterior)|
Dagoberto Tribia (interior)
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||5-door MPV|
|Platform||GM Gamma II platform|
1.2 L Family 0 I4 (petrol, Indonesia)|
1.5 L S-TEC III I4 (petrol, Indonesia)
1.8 L N18XFH I4 (petrol/ethanol, Brazil)
1.3 L SDE I4 (diesel, Indonesia)
|Wheelbase||2,620 mm (103.1 in)|
|Length||4,360 mm (171.7 in)|
|Width||1,735 mm (68.3 in)|
|Height||1,664 mm (65.5 in)|
GM announced in 2012 that it will market the car globally in developing countries and assemble it also at GM Autoworld Indonesia's Bekasi, West Java, plant. Production in Indonesia has started in February 2013. In February 2015, GM announced they will close the Bekasi plant by the end of June due to slow sales of the Spin. It has also been produced at the General Motors do Brasil plant in São Caetano do Sul, Brazil.
As for 2014, Spin for Indonesian market consists of 3 model depends on engine type and displacement. The three models are :
- For 1.2l Gasoline engine comes with 2 trims, LS and LT available in 5 speed manual transmission only
- For 1.3l Turbocharged Diesel engine has 2 trims, LT and LTZ, also with manual transmission only
- The 1.5l Gasoline engine has more trims than others : 4 trims (LS, LT, LTZ and Activ) available in manual and 6 speed automatic transmission.
Indonesian version offers 7 seat and third row ventilation in all models.
On April 2014, General Motors Indonesia introduced a new trim in 1.5l model, called Activ, only available with automatic transmission. Based on the LTZ trim, the Activ adds new design elements like a larger front bumper with skid guards, 16-inch alloy wheels, roof rails, black plastic cladding for the lower part of the front and rear bumpers with silver skid plates, silver inserts for the side lower body and reflectors on the rear bumper, which sees ‘Activ’ embossed on it. The car gets black body paneling, and smoked headlamps is also part of the package. Inside, The full black interior color theme, is fitted with dual airbag and the steering gets audio controls.
In Brazil, the Spin has replaced the Meriva as GM do Brasil phases out the badge engineering of Opels as Chevrolets and vice versa. While the original Meriva was developed jointly by GM do Brasil and Opel, the second generation Meriva has been developed exclusively by Opel and marketed only as Opel and Vauxhall.
The LTZ trim of the Spin offers seven seats, and can thus also replace in Brasil the Zafira, whose global successor is being split between Zafira and Orlando, both being based on the GM's global Delta II platform.
Brazilian market received Activ trim in November 2014, the differences from Indonesian Activ are an exposed spare wheel and 1.8-liter EconoFlex engine capable of 108 bhp and 171 Nm of torque.
- GM Media Indonesia (2013-05-08). "Chevrolet Spin created and sold in Indonesia". media.gm.com (Press release). Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- Aditya Maulana (2013-02-19). "Setiap 1 Jam, 10 Chevrolet Spin Lahir di Bekasi". detik.com (in Indonesian). Jakarta, Indonesia: detikOto. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Chevrolet Spin Spesifikasi Kelebihan Harga". mobilku.org (in Indonesian). Indonesia: Grup Mobilku. January 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Chevrolet Spin: seu carro para curtir com todo mundo". GM Media Chevrolet Brasil (press release) (in Portuguese). 28 June 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Chevrolet Imprensa - Brasil - Spin". GM Media Chevrolet Brasil (press release) (in Portuguese). 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Spin, el monovolumen mediano que agrandará la familia Chevrolet". GM Media Chevrolet Argentina (press release) (in Spanish). 2 October 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Chevrolet - Argentina - Spin". GM Media Chevrolet Argentina (in Spanish). 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Aditya Maulana (2013-02-19). "Mengintip Tempat Lahir Chevrolet Spin 'Made in Bekasi'". oto.detik.com (in Indonesian). Jakarta, Indonesia: detikOto. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- "Chevrolet Spin MPV Makes Global Debut in Brazil". GM Media South Africa (press release). 29 June 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "All-new 2013 Chevrolet Spin MPV to be Built in Indonesia". GM Media Chevrolet Thailand (press release). 12 June 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Tan, Jonathan James (February 28, 2015). "General Motors to close Indonesian plant in June, stop Chevrolet Sonic production in Thailand". paultan.org. Retrieved March 2, 2015.