Chew Choon Seng
|Chew Choon Seng|
Chew Choon Seng (Chinese: 周俊成; pinyin: Zhōu Jùn Chéng) is the former Chief Executive Officer of Singapore Airlines (SIA), the former Chairman of the Singapore Exchange and Singapore Tourism Board.
After completing his first degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Singapore (now the National University of Singapore, Chew graduated with a Master of Science in operations research and management studies from Imperial College London.
Chew joined SIA in 1972 and held senior assignments for Administration, covering finance, treasury, corporate planning, human resources, legal and corporate affairs in Tokyo, Rome, Sydney, Los Angeles and London. After heading the Planning and Marketing divisions at the airline's corporate headquarters, he was appointed CEO in June 2003.
He also served as the Chairman of the Singapore Aircraft Leasing Enterprise and was the directors of various SIA subsidiaries including Singapore Airport Terminal Services Limited, SIA Engineering Company, and Virgin Atlantic Airways, in which SIA holds a 49 per cent equity stake. He was the Chairman of SilkAir, a fully owned subsidiary of SIA when SilkAir Flight 185 crashed on 19 December 1997 en route from Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta International Airport to Singapore Changi Airport.
Whilst Chief Executive Officer, he was credited for maintaining the airline's strong record of profitability, but has later been widely criticised for failing to capitalise on strong passenger and cargo growth within the Asia Pacific region during his tenure. He has also been criticised for his sale of ground handling subsidiary Sats, his reluctance to order new aircraft and for failing to contain a drop in service standards. He has also been criticised for not intervening in the operations of Tiger Airways, which led to the carrier's grounding in Australia in 2011.
He relinquished his position as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Singapore Airlines (SIA) at the end of 2010 and assuming the post of Chairman at Singapore Exchange (SGX) and Singapore Tourism Board (STB) and board member of Government of Singapore Investment Corporation.
- Kleinman, Mark (2007-07-09). "Singapore Airlines reviews Virgin stake". telegraph.co.uk. London. Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- Chew Choon Seng worked as Director (SENIOR EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT) at SINGAPORE AIRLINES LIMITED from 05 March 2003 to 01 January 2011-http://www.cbetta.com/director/choon-seng-chew
- "Chaly Mah named as STB's new chairman". Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- "SIA gets new CEO". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "J Y Pillay to step down as SGX chairman at year-end". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "New chairman for STB". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "CLSA is top local brokerage firm: survey". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 14 January 2011.