Suakanta Bhattacharya died at the age of 21, the book was published few days after his death.
Chharpatra (1948) is a Bengali book of poems written by Sukanta Bhattacharya. Sukanta wrote the poems of this book from 1943–1947. He died at the age of 21 and this book was published few days before his death.
Chharpatra created a sensation when it first appeared. Sukanta picked up particular types of labour class people as the subject of his poetry. Some of his poetries in the book Chharpatra presented some magnificent hitherto which was unknown to the Bengali poetry readers. The book starts with the poetry Chharpatra— the theme of the poetry was– "A new child is born; we will have to make room for him." "I shall make this world a fit place for him to live in."
One of his shorter poems name "Hey Mahajibon" (হে মহাজীবন) from the book Chharpatra compares the moon with a burnt roti, a prosaicness born of hunger:
প্রয়োজন নেই কবিতার স্নিগ্ধতা
"Poetry, we do not need you any more.
List of selected poetries
- Rabindranath-er Proti.
- Chara gachh.
- Europe-er Uddeshye,
- Ekti morogger kahini.
- Chattagram: 1943
- Shotru Ek
- Mrityunjoyi Gaan
- Hey Mohajibon.
- Dipesh Chakrabarty (2008). Provincializing Europe: Postcolonial Thought and Historical Difference. Princeton University Press. pp. 282–. ISBN 978-0-691-13001-9. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Sāhitya Akademi (1980). Indian literature. Sähitya Akademi. p. 575. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Sunil Gangopadhyaya (1 January 2000). Purbo-paschim. Sahitya Akademi. p. 637. ISBN 978-81-260-1002-8. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Michigan State University. Asian Studies Center (1974). Journal of South Asian literature. Asian Studies Center, Michigan State University. p. 177. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Amaresh Datta (1987). Encyclopaedia of Indian Literature: A-Devo. Sahitya Akademi. p. 487. ISBN 978-81-260-1803-1. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Nirmal Ghose (1968). Studies in modern Bengali poetry. Novela. p. 150. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Indian Economic Association. Conference (1 January 2001). Economics of child labour. Deep & Deep Publications. p. 150. ISBN 978-81-7629-343-3. Retrieved 26 June 2012.