Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University
Aerial view of Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Jayant Vinayak Vaishampayan|
|Location||Kanpur Nagar, UTTAR PRADESH, India|
|Campus||Urban, 264 acres|
|Nickname||CSJMU, CSJM, KU|
|Affiliations||UGC, AIU, NAAC|
Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University (CSJMU), formerly Kanpur University, is a public state university located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is administered under the state legislature of the government of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the largest universities of Asia catering to urban and rural students offering professional and academic courses in disciplines of Arts, Science, Commerce, Law, Engineering, Biotechnology, Computer Applications, Management and Medicine.
The Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University Kanpur was established in 1966 as Kanpur University when Agra University split into Agra and Kanpur universities. Mayawati, as chief minister, changed the name from Kanpur University to the current name, after the Maharaja of the Indian princely state of Kolhapur between 1884 and 1922, Shahu IV of Kolhapur, also known as Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj.
Spreading over 264 acres, the university is booming with academic activities. While the undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in Art, Science, Commerce, Law, Engineering and Medicine are offered in affiliated colleges and institutions, the residential wing of the campus includes faculties of Life Sciences, Business Management, Education and English. It has a computer centre, a department of Adult and Continuing Education, Communication and a College Development Council. For catering to the needs of young engineering aspirants, the university has an Institute of Engineering and Technology in the campus offering courses in engineering: Chemical, Computer Science and Information, Mechanical Engineering.
There are separate hostel, academic and administrative blocks.
- Auditorium Hall
- Central Library
- Computer Center
- Guest House
- International Center
- Lecture Hall Complex
- Multipurpose Hall
The administration is the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor and the members of the executive council, the court and the academic council of the university.
The Kulpati (Vice-Chancellor) is a whole-time salaried officer of the university and is appointed by the chancellor from amongst the names submitted to him by a committee constituted in accordance with the provisions above U.P. Universities Act 1973.
The individual departments are under the direct supervision of their appointed directors, and each sub-department has its head.
Departments and institutes
- Deen Dayal Shodh Sansthan
- Department of Adult and Continuing Education and Extension
- Department of Education
- Department of English
- Department of Fine Arts and Painting
- Department of Library and Information Science
- Department of Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Department of Music
- Department of Physical Education
- Institute of Business Management
- Institute of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Institute of Life Sciences
- institute of Pharmacy
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology, Kanpur University ; formally known as Institute of Engineering and Technology
- University Institute of Para Medical Science
- University Placement Cell
According to Webometrics world rankings, the University is ranked at number 12 rank in Uttar pradesh,108 in India and 5363 in the world and it is ranked 5380 in the world, according to 4icu world rankings
- Former Prime Minister of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee is an alumnus of D.A.V. College, Kanpur University.
- Harsh Vardhan (Delhi politician) attended Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial Medical College, Kanpur, where he graduated in 1979 with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.
- Renu Khator, chancellor of the University of Houston System and president of the University of Houston
- Dr. Onkar Singh, Vice Chancellor , Madan Mohan Malaviya University of Technology, Gorakhpur (U.P.)-INDIA*Madan Mohan Malaviya University of Technology, Gorakhpur
- Sarvagya Singh Katiyar former vice chancellor.
- Ram Shankar Katheria
- Vinay Katiyar
- Sone Lal Patel
- Sushila Saroj
- Premdas Katheria
- Bal Govind Dwivedi
- Bharat Jhunjhunwala
- Gopaldas Neeraj, Poet & lyricist.
- Motilal Nehru, freedom fighter, politician
- Uma Shankar Dikshit, politician
- Gopal Khanna
- Manohar Lal (b. 1938), UP MLA, cabinet minister 
- Abhijeet Bhattacharya, singer
- Azeem Ahmad, Entrepreneur & Founder SOFTLABS Inc.
- Devendu Bajpai, CEO Remy Electricals India Ltd.
- Mukesh Chandra Rai, Vice President Finance, Reliance