|Place of origin||India|
|Region or state||Gujarat|
|Serving temperature||At room temperature|
|Main ingredients||Mango and sugar syrup|
|Variations||Served spiced with red chilies|
Chhundo (Gujarati: છૂંદો, Hindi: छुन्दो ) is a kind of Indian pickle preparation as well as a condiment mostly made out of grated ripe mangoes, used in cuisine of the Indian subcontinent as an accompaniment to the main meal that consists of Roti, Sabzi and other food items. However, it is a generic form of preparation that can be made with various fruits and vegetables. Chhundo is particularly a Kathiawadi dish but is consumed across Gujarat.
Since mango is a seasonal fruit and is available in abundance only in summer in India (April–July), most mango pickles are made during this time with oil or sugar base and then preserved in large glass containers. This way Chhundo and other pickles are available for consumption throughout the year.
Chhundo, literally translated in Gujarati means crushed. Although sources of its origin are unknown, along with other popular Indian pickles, Chhundo and Murabbo, two types of mango relishes are commonly consumed in daily Gujarati meals.
Preparation and variations
As mentioned earlier, although the most popular variety of Chhundo is the one prepared with grated mangoes, other variations such as pineapple Chhundo.
A serving of 20 grams (0.71 oz) of Chhundo contains 61 calories, no fat or cholesterol, 124 milligrams (1.91 gr) of Sodium and 15 grams (0.53 oz) gms of carbohydrates. Since it is prepared and preserved in sugar syrup, its main energy component is sugar. It also provides Vitamin C and Vitamin A.
- South Asian pickles – Foods originating from the Indian subcontinent, pickled from certain varieties of vegetables and fruits
- List of condiments
- Mango pickle – A variety of pickles prepared using mango
- Ahmedabad City, Ahmedabad History, Ahmedabad Attractions, Ahmedabad Accommodation Archived August 17, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Hemant'S Cookery Corner
- "છૂંદવું" in Gujarati To English Dictionary | Online Dictionary | Free Dictionary - Gujaratilexicon
- Pickle recipes : SBS Food
- Cuisines of Gujarat, Gujarati Food, Gujarati Recipes, Gujarati Food Recipes
- Calories in Durbar - Chhundo | Nutrition and Health Facts
|Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe/module on|
- Spiced chhundo recipe and information at sbs.com.au