Chi Chi Gonzalez
|Chi Chi González|
|Colorado Rockies – No. 50|
|Born: January 15, 1992|
Delray Beach, Florida
|May 30, 2015, for the Texas Rangers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||4.87|
Alexander "Chi Chi" González (born January 15, 1992) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Colorado Rockies of Major League Baseball (MLB). González goes by Chi Chi, a nickname given to him by his grandfather. He has previously played for the Texas Rangers.
Gonzalez was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 11th round of the 2010 MLB Draft out of Boca Raton Community High School. Rather than sign with the Orioles, Gonzalez attended Oral Roberts University, where he was an accounting major. In 2012, he played collegiate summer baseball in the Cape Cod Baseball League for the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox.
He was drafted by the Rangers in the 1st round (23rd overall) of the 2013 MLB Draft. He made his professional debut with the Spokane Indians and also played for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Prior to the 2014 season, Baseball Prospectus rated Gonzalez as the 70th best prospect in baseball. He started the season with Myrtle Beach before being promoted to the Double-A Frisco RoughRiders. He started 2015 with the Triple-A Round Rock Express.
Gonzalez was called up to the majors for the first time on May 30, 2015 and made his MLB debut that day. He faced the veteran lineup of the Boston Red Sox and began the game pitching 5 2/3 innings without surrendering a hit. It was the longest no-hit stretch to begin a career for a Rangers pitcher since 1992. On June 5, 2015, Gonzalez threw a complete game shutout against the Kansas City Royals. It was his first career complete game. Gonzalez was optioned down to Triple-A Round Rock July 4, 2015. Gonzalez was diagnosed with a partial tear to the UCL in spring training of 2017. He was declared to need Tommy John surgery, ending his 2017 season plus the whole 2018 season. On November 2, 2018, Gonzalez elected free agency.
- "'Chi Chi' González ready to be a Ranger". June 8, 2013.
- "Baltimore Orioles select Boca Raton pitcher Alex Gonzalez in 11th round of baseball draft". June 8, 2010. Archived from the original on February 2, 2014.
- "ORUAthletics.com - Official Athletic Website of Oral Roberts University". orugoldeneagles.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Rangers draft Delray Beach's Alex Gonzalez in first round
- Rangers select RHP Alex Gonzalez in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft
- 'Chi Chi' Gonzalez ready to be a Ranger
- "Baseball Prospectus - Prospects Will Break Your Heart: Top 101 Prospects". Baseball Prospectus. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Texas Rangers No. 3 prospect Chi-Chi Gonzalez might just Cha-Cha his way into 2015 rotation Archived May 27, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- Former Oral Roberts star Alex 'Chi Chi' Gonzalez to make first Triple-A start against OKC Dodgers on Sunday
- Texas Rangers send Chi Chi Gonzalez to minors; will work on quicker at-bats
- Prospect Gonzalez to join Rangers' rotation
- Eddy, Matt (November 6, 2018). "Minor League Free Agents 2018". Baseball America. Retrieved November 12, 2018.
- Kyle Newman (June 24, 2019). "Right-hander Chi Chi Gonzalez to make Rockies debut Tuesday in San Francisco". The Denver Post. Retrieved June 25, 2019.