Chi Hong (Sam) Wong
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Chi Hong (Sam) Wong|
|First Quorum of the Seventy|
|5 April 2014–|
|Born||Chi Hong Wong
25 May 1962
Chi Hong (Sam) Wong (born 25 May 1962) has been a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) since April 2014. He is a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy.
Wong was born in British Hong Kong to Ngan Kan and Fat Wong. His future wife, Carol Lu, introduced him to the LDS Church and he became a member in 1982. In 1983, Wong married Lu and they moved to Oahu, where Wong attended Brigham Young University–Hawaii and obtained degrees in accounting and computer science.
In the LDS Church, Wong has also served as a bishop, stake president and area seventy. He became a general authority during the church's April 2014 general conference. Since August 2014, he has served as a counselor in the presidency of the church's Asia Area.
In the October 2014 general conference, Wong delivered a sermon in Cantonese, becoming the first speaker to give a general conference address in a language other than English. Prior to the conference, the LDS Church had announced a new policy of allowing conference speakers to give addresses in their native languages.
- "LDS First Presidency announces area leadership assignments", Church News, 2 May 2015.
- "Mormon leader speaks in Cantonese — translation: history", The Salt Lake Tribune, October 4, 2014
- Walch, Tad (October 4, 2014), "Cantonese-speaking Saints thrilled by historic LDS conference talk in their language", Deseret News
- Walch, Tad (October 5, 2014), "Global LDS diversity, growth on display at general conference", Deseret News
- "Several Native Languages Spoken in General Conference", LDS Living, October 6, 2014
- "Elder Chi Hong (Sam) Wong", Liahona, LDS Church, May 2014
- Weaver, Sarah Jane (April 25, 2014), "New General Authority: Elder Chi Hong (Sam) Wong", LDS Church News, Deseret News