Chiang Mai Night Safari
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Date opened||February 6, 2006|
|Location||Chiang Mai, Thailand|
|Land area||327 acres (132 ha)|
|No. of animals||400+|
|No. of species||50+|
|Major exhibits||Savanna Safari, Predator Prowl, Jaguar Trail, Multimedia Fountain|
Chiang Mai Night Safari (Thai: เชียงใหม่ไนท์ซาฟารี) is a nocturnal zoo located in Chiang Mai, Thailand. The safari has operated by Pinkanakorn Development Agency, subordinated to the Prime Minister's Office. The safari opened in 2006 at the same year with the Royal Flora Expo 2006 in order to promote Chiang Mai tourism. It is the second night safari of the world following the Night Safari in Singapore.
Admissions and tickets is THB 800 for adults, THB 400 for children.
It is the 2nd night safari in the world, opened in mid-2005, the safari is a piece of African savannah-cross-zoo,[clarification needed] which has been recreated as one of Chiang Mai’s newest and most ambitious projects. It has more than 200 species from several continents and although it is best enjoyed at night, you can visit it during the afternoon, too.[peacock term]
The 320-acre site, annexed from the foot of the Doi Pui Suithep National Park, includes a large lake surrounded by zoo-like enclosures and two ‘game drives’, where animals from Africa and Asia roam freely in larger fenced off areas. Some of the more docile species wander right up to the tram, but predators are kept behind security barriers. In addition, the Chiang Mai Night Safari has a very comfortable pavilion and the Lanna Village, with restaurant, Fun Plaza and a colourful musical fountain.
The safari was developed under controversial circumstances (without proper environmental impact studies) as part of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s grand design for his hometown. It was opened in time for the much-attended, three-month long Royal Flora Expo in December 2006, and modelled on a similar safari park in Singapore. Despite facing difficulties in securing animals from Kenya, the Night Safari is easily one of Chiang Mai‘s best[peacock term] newer attractions, designed professionally to provide a complete experience for all ages.
- Savanna Safari Zone is the exhibit zone mostly for animals whose habitat is in African savanna. This zone includes about 34 species and over 320 animals such as wildebeests, giraffes, white rhinoceroses, zebras etc.
- Predator Prowl Zone is the carnivorous animal zone which has approximately 27 species and over 200 animals such as tigers, lions, Asiatic black bears, crocodiles etc.
- Jaguar Trail Zone is an 1.2 km walking trail around the Swan Lake. This zone has over 50 species of 400 smaller animals in an environment of enchanting flower gardens. Animals in this zone include white tigers, jaguars, capybaras, clouded leopards, fishing cats, Brazilian tapirs, squirrel monkeys, miniature horses, crowned cranes etc.
The resort at Chiang Mai Night Safari is composed of five houses :
- Kum Payaa is a one-story house located in a forest.
- Piroon Pana is a group of houses consisting of 8 independent units in a forest with all facilities.
- Safari Doii is a one-story house consisting of 3-4 independent units in a forest with all necessities.
- Phrueksa Sawan is a one-story house consisting of 3-4 independent units in a forest with all necessities.
- Puang Chompoo is a one-story house consisting of 3-4 independent units in a forest with all necessities.
Digital Zoo Shows information about animals with digital tools such as an interactive wall exhibition, an interactive floor, interactive laser gun, 3D POP UP, multi touch table, hologram, 3D motion picture, piano step and music touch wall. Example - The interactive wall exhibition works by detecting the movement of the user. When the user gets in the designated area, an infrared camera will detect the movements and direct the projected image to interact with the user. - The 3D POP UP shows a 3D image on the screen. The user can wear the 3D animal head such as tiger, lion and zebra. - The hologram is a 3D motion picture. It is used for something like a magic show. There are many screens in the room that can contain over 20 people. The magician can react with the 2D and 3D animations on the screen.
Night Safari In this activity the visitor will travel by bus to visit two animal zones. The bus leaves at 18.50. The visitor will go to the Savanna Zone. First, the visitors will see animals such as giraffes, zebras and kangaroos. Next at the Predator Zone, the visitor will see many predators such as tigers, lions and hyenas.
Day Safari Visitors will travel by bus to visit the Carnivore Zone and the Predator Zone. First, the bus will go into the carnivore Zone and the visitor will give food to animals (rhinos, zebras, giraffes and kangaroos). Next, at the Predator Zone the visitor won’t be close to the animals because the animals in this zone are savage (tigers, lions and hyenas).
Behind the Zoo Behind the Zoo is a chance to learn about taking care of animals. Visitors can touch the animals and bathe the animals. This activity has staff teaching about bathing and cleaning animals (elephants, gaurs, giraffes and white rhinos).
Jaguar Trail Zone The Jaguar Trail Zone is a walking zone. There are a lot of animals that the visitor can learn about animals by themselves. Example the animals in Jaguar Trail Zone, crested serpent eagle, fishing cat, binturong, grey peacock-pheasant and Asian golden cat.
Night Safari Park Multimedia fountain show
Night Safari Park multimedia fountain show consists of the a 30 x 6 m large floating multimedia fountain construction and water screen with laser graphics. The fountain is equipped with more than 1,200 water jets to create a variety of water effects in time to music. In addition, a water screen is built into the feature, providing a 40-metre wide and 15-metre high projection area for video, light and laser projections. The project was completed by Emotion Media Factory.
For the opening show, marking the 60th anniversary of the king’s coronation, a special programme was devised and presented to the public. A musical fountain and multimedia show including video, lights and lasers were staged to music composed by the king himself. On June 15, 2006 the installation and show was personally inaugurated by Prime Minister Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra. He congratulated the managing directors, Helmut Dörner and Ralph Douw (Emotion Media Factory), on their excellent work.
- "Chiang Mai Night Safari - Chiang Mai Thailand - Chiang Mai Show and Entertainment". www.hotelthailand.com. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
- "Chiang Mai Night Safari, Zoo guide & tours - 1stop Chiang Mai". www.1stopchiangmai.com. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
- Chiangmai night safari “Digitalzoo” Retrieved Oct 28th, 2013, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Chiangmai night safari “Nigh Safari” Retrieved Oct 28th, 2013, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Chiangmai night safari “Day Safari” Retrieved Oct 28th, 2013, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Chiangmai night safari “Behind the Zoo” Retrieved October 28, 2013, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- taklong “เชียงใหม่ไนท์ซาฟารี Jaguar Trail Zone” (June 25, 2013) Retrieved October 28, 2013, http://www.taklong.com/landscape/show-landscape.php?No=539728
- Chiangmai night safari “Gallery” Retrieved October 28, 2013, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Retrieved October 1, 2015,"Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-08. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Chiang Mai Night Safari Multimedia Fountain Entertainment Bangkok". urbila. Retrieved October 24, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chiang Mai Night Safari.|