|His Eminence, The Most Reverend
|Cardinal, Bishop of Les Cayes|
|Appointed||15 August 2011|
|Ordination||22 September 1991
by Guire Poulard
|Consecration||6 June 2004
by Hubert Constant
|Created Cardinal||22 February 2014
by Pope Francis
November 29, 1958 |
La Vallée-de-Jacmel, Haiti
|Previous post||Bishop of Fort-Liberté (2004-2011)|
|Motto||Servir Dieu et l'homme dans l'amour (Serve God and humanity in love)|
|Coat of arms|
|Ordination history of Chibly Langlois|
|Date of ordination||22 September 1991|
|Principal consecrator||Hubert Constant, OMI|
Joseph Serge Miot
|Date of consecration||6 June 2004|
|Elevated by||Pope Francis|
|Date of elevation||22 February 2014|
|David Thomas Daniel Macaire, O.P.||12 April 2015|
|Jean Désinord||2 July 2016|
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Chibly Langlois[pronunciation?] (born 29 November 1958) is a Haitian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He is bishop of Les Cayes since 15 August 2011, and president of Haiti’s Bishops’ Conference.
Pope Francis, on 22 February 2014, elevated Langlois to the College of Cardinals. Langlois is the first Haitian cardinal, and the only one among the new cardinals at the February 2014 consistory who was not an archbishop.
Langlois was born in La Vallée in southeast Haiti to a poor family. Langlois entered the Grand Séminaire Notre-Dame of Port-au-Prince in 1985, where he studied philosophy and theology; later, from 1994 to 1996, he studied at the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome and obtained a licentiate in pastoral theology. He was ordained priest for the diocese of Jacmel on 22 September 1991.
When choosing to elevate Langlois to the College of Cardinals in 2014, Pope Francis bypassed many more senior Haitian bishops including metropolitan archbishops Louis Kébreau and Guire Poulard. At the time, Poulard was his superior in the ecclesiastical province of Port-au-Prince.
On 22 February 2014, Pope Francis appointed Langlois Cardinal-Priest of San Giacomo in Augusta. This Roman church had never before been designated as the titular church of a Catholic cardinal. Cardinal Langlois took possession of his titular church on 7 June 2014.
On 22 May 2014, Pope Francis appointed Cardinal Langlois a member of both the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, Pontifical Commission for Latin America, and Secretariat for Communications.
- "Cardinale CHIBLY LANGLOIS nella nostra Chiesa" [Cardinal CHIBLY LANGLOIS in our Church]. San Giacomo in Augusta (in Italian). 1 March 2014. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "Bishop Chibly Langlois". Catholic Relief Services. 1 June 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- Pope Francis announces names of new Cardinals - Vatican Radio, 12 January 2014
- "Meet the Cardinals: Chibly Langlois - Les Cayes, Haiti". Salt and Light. February 6, 2014. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- "Haiti - Religion : Mgr. Chibly Langlois, new Bishop of Les Cayes". Haiti Libre. 16 August 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "Haiti's first cardinal-designate highlights nation's struggles". Catholic News Agency. 15 January 2014. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "Provisio ecclesiarum" [Ecclesiastical provision] (PDF), Acta Apostolicae Sedis (in Latin), Rome, IT: Vatican, 96 (5): 318, 2004
- "Provisio ecclesiarum" [Ecclesiastical provision] (PDF), Acta Apostolicae Sedis (in Latin), Rome, IT: Vatican, 103 (9): 624, 2011
- "Bishops of Haiti by Liturgical Precedence". GCatholic.org. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "Concistoro ordinario pubblico per la creatione dei nuovi cardinali: assegnazione dei titoli o delle diaconie ai nuovi porporati" [Ordinary public consistory for the creation of the new cardinals: allocation of titles or deaconries to the new prelates]. Holy See Press Office (in Italian). 22 February 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Una comunita in festa: Il Card. Chibly Langlois prende possesso del Titolo di San Giacomo" [A community in celebration: Card. Chibly Langlois takes possession of the Title of San Giacomo]. San Giacomo in Augusta (in Italian). 23 June 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Rinunce e nomine" [Renunciations and nominations]. Holy See Press Office (in Italian). 22 May 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
|Catholic Church titles|
Hubert Constant, OMI
|Bishop of Fort-Liberte
Max Leroy Mesidor
|Bishop of Les Cayes
titular church established
|Cardinal Priest of San Giacomo in Augusta