Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo
Parts of this article (those related to 2020 event details) need to be updated.March 2020)(
|Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo|
|Organized by||Reed Exhibitions, a division of Reed Business|
The Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2) is a Chicago fan convention dedicated to comics, pop culture, graphic novels, anime, manga, video games, toys, movies, and television. The inaugural event was held April 16–18, 2010 at the McCormick Place in Chicago.
C2E2 was held for the first time April 16–18, 2010, with an estimated attendance between 20,000 and 30,000 attendees. The convention included dozens of professional and amateur comic book artists, and prominently featured booths from the biggest comic book publishers. The convention also featured a special auction with the actual props from the original Iron Man movie.
The second C2E2 was held March 18–20, 2011 and included Thor actor Chris Hemsworth. Other guests included Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dollhouse actress Eliza Dushku, The Walking Dead actors Laurie Holden and Jon Bernthal, and Supernatural actor Mark Sheppard.
The third C2E2 was held April 13–15, 2012, and 41,000 attendees were reported. It included Doctor Who and Torchwood actor John Barrowman, Lord of the Rings actor Sean Astin, and The Walking Dead actors Steven Yeun and Lauren Cohan.
The fourth C2E2 was held April 26–28, 2013, and 53,000 attendees were reported. Some of the spotlight guests included the 1960s Batman TV series actors Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar, Game of Thrones actress Natalie Dormer, Hellboy actor Ron Perlman, The Walking Dead actors Laurie Holden and Chandler Riggs, Doctor Who actor Peter Davison, The Guild actress Felicia Day, and comedian Kevin Smith.
C2E2 2014 was held April 25–27, 2014. It included comic legend Stan Lee, Torchwood actress Eve Myles, Game of Thrones actors Alfie Allen, Natalia Tena, and Kristian Nairn, Teen Wolf actors Tyler Posey and Crystal Reed, and The Southern Vampire Mysteries series author Charlaine Harris.
C2E2 2015 was held April 24–26, 2015. Comic legend Stan Lee appeared once again this year. Other notable guests included Agent Carter actress Hayley Atwell, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. actress Ming-Na Wen, Doctor Who actor Sylvester McCoy, Game of Thrones actors Jason Momoa and Finn Jones, Firefly actress Jewel Staite, Mystery Science Theater 3000 creator Joel Hodgson, Lord of the Rings actor Sean Astin, and the most of the cast of Orphan Black.
C2E2 2016 was held March 18–20, 2016. Some of the spotlight entertainment guests included Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. actors Chloe Bennet and J. August Richards, Supergirl actresses Melissa Benoist and Chyler Leigh, and Sons of Anarchy actors Ryan Hurst and Tommy Flanagan.
|Dates||Attendance||Spotlight Comic Guests||Spotlight Entertainment Guests|
|April 16–18, 2010||27,500||Alex Ross, Mark Bagley, Jimmy Cheung, Amanda Conner, Peter David, Tony S. Daniel, Dan DiDio, Terry & Rachel Dodson, Colleen Doran, Garth Ennis, David Finch, Neil Gaiman, Ron Garney, Michael Golden, Jackson "Butch" Guice, Jonathan Hickman, Adam Hughes, Geoff Johns, Chip Kidd, Adam Kubert, Andy Kubert, Greg Land, Bob Layton, Jim Lee, Paul Levitz, Joseph Linsner, Jeph Loeb, Doug Mahnke, Steve McNiven, Mike Mignola, Terry Moore, Greg Pak, Jimmy Palmiotti, Paul Pelletier, Joe Quesada, James Robinson, Ethan Van Sciver, Gail Simone, Dash Shaw, Jeff Smith, Ben Templesmith, Peter Tomasi, Jim Valentino, Chris Ware, Daniel Way, Bill Willingham||Amy Allen, Rich Appel, Lance Briggs, Miracole Burns, Emma Caulfield, Kevin Conroy, Carrie Fisher, Steve Gonsalves, Mike Henry, Aaron Johnson, Jerry Lawler, Daniel Logan, Peter Mayhew, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Chloë Grace Moretz|
|March 18–20, 2011||34,000||Brian Michael Bendis, Paul Cornell, Tony Daniel, Garth Ennis, Matt Fraction, Adam Hughes, Jeph Loeb, Mary Pat Gleason, Doug Mahnke, Tony Moore, Joe Quesada, Ivan Reis, Gail Simone, Scott Snyder, Mark Waid, Bill Willingham||Chris Hemsworth, Eliza Dushku, Laurie Holden, Jon Bernthal, Sam Trammell, Kristin Bauer, Brit Morgan, Tahmoh Penikett, Mark Sheppard, Patton Oswalt, Chris Hardwick|
|April 13–15, 2012||41,000||Adam Hughes, Axel Alonso, Bill Willingham, Brian Azzarello, Dan Didio, Dan Slott, David Finch, Gail Simone, Geoff Johns, George Perez, J Michael Straczynski, Jason Aaron, Jeph Loeb, Jhonen Vasquez, Joe Kubert, Joe Quesada, Lee Bermejo, Len Wein, Marc Silvestri, Mark Waid, Neal Adams, Rick Remender, Scott Snyder, Tim Sale, Tony Daniel, Tony Moore||Anthony Daniels, Chad Michael Murray, Chris Hardwick, John Barrowman, John Cusack, Josh Gates, Lauren Cohan, Nicholas Brendon, Sean Astin, Shane West, Shia Lebouf, Stephanie Izard, Stephen Rannazzisi, Steven Yeun, Tom Morello, Val Kilmer|
|April 26–28, 2013||53,000||Alex Ross, Brian Azzarello, Eric Powell, Ethan Van Sciver, J. Michael Straczynski, Kieron Gillen, Len Wein, Michael Golden, Olivier Coipel, Paul Cornell, Rick Remender, Tony S Daniel||Ashley Eckstein, Brian Posehn, Bruce Boxleitner, Burt Ward, Chad Coleman, Chandler Riggs, David Bailie, Felicia Day, James Cosmo, Janina Gavankar, Julie Newmar, Kevin Mcnally, Kevin Smith, Laurie Holden, Lee Arenberg, Mackenzie Crook, Martin Klebba, Mike Drucker, Myq Kaplan, Natalie Dormer, Patton Oswalt, Peter Davison, Ron Perlman, Ryan Buell, Sam Huntington|
|April 25–27, 2014||68,900||Adam Hughes, Adi Granov, Brian Azzarello, Dan Jurgens, Eric Powell, Gail Simone, Jimmy Palmiotti, Lee Bermejo, Mark Bagley, Neal Adams, Olivier Coipel, Scott Snyder, Stan Lee, Tony Daniel, Tony Moore||Alfie Allen, Allison Scagliotti, Brian Posehn, Carlos Bernard, Chandler Riggs, Crystal Reed, Eddie Mcclintock, Eve Myles, Grant Bowler, Hulk Hogan, Jaime Murray, James Morrison, Janet Varney, Jesse Rath, KC Collins, Kris Holden-Ried, Kristian Nairn, Kyle Kinane, Louis Lombardi, Molly Quinn, Natalia Tena, Nicholas Brendon, Peter Sagal, Rick Howland, Rider Strong, Rj Mitte, Saul Rubinek, Tony Curran, Tyler Posey, Veronica Taylor|
|April 24–26, 2015||71,000||Amanda Conner, Bill Willingham, Dan Slott, David Finch, Eric Powell, Gail Simone, Greg Tocchini, Humberto Ramos, James Robinson, Jerome Opeña, Jimmy Palmiotti, Jonathan Hickman, Max Brooks, Nick Dragotta, Rick Remender, Ryan Stegman, Scott Snyder, Stan Lee, Tim Seeley||Ari Millen, Brad Neely, Casper Kelly, Chad L. Coleman, Chris Sabat, Clare Kramer, CM Punk, Craig Rowin, Daniel Weidenfeld, Dave Newberg, Dave Willis, David Ramsey, Dylan Bruce, Emmanuelle Vaugier, Eoin Macken, Finn Jones, Hayley Atwell, Henry Zebrowski, Jason Mewes, Jason Momoa, Jewel Staite, Joel Hodgson, John Fawcett, Jordan Gavaris, Karan Soni, Kevin Smith, Leah Pipes, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Matt Dillon, Milana Vayntrub, Ming-Na Wen, M. Night Shyamalan, Neve Mcintosh, Neville Page, Paul Amos, Paul Feig, Raphael Sbarge, Scott Adsit, Sean Astin, Sean Schemmel, Sebastian Roche, Sylvester Mccoy, Trace Beaulieu|
|March 18–20, 2016||72,000||Gail Simone, Mike Mignola, Jim Zub, Joyce Chin, Jill Thompson, Fabian Nicleza, Phil Noto, Robbie Thompson, Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Tim Seeley, Vince Locke, Frank Cho, Edwin Huang, Amy Chu, Annie Wu, Gene Ha, Joyce Chin, Ming Doyle, Stacey Lee||Chloe Bennet, J. August Richards, Melissa Benoist, Chyler Leigh, Ryan Hurst, Tommy Flanagan, CM Punk, Austin St. John, Rose McGowan, Edwards James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, John Cusack, John Ratzenberger, D.B. Sweeney, Hynden Walch, Jeremy Shada, Kelynan Lonsdale, Ksenia Solo, Karan Ashley, Sasha Rolz, Rachel Skarsten, Ask Me Another|
|April 21–23, 2017||80,000||Stan Lee, Frank Miller, Kieron Gillen, Jen Bartel||Mike Coulter, Evanna Lynch, Millie Bobby Brown, Jason David Frank, Vincent D'Onofrio, Finn Wolfhard, Walter Jones, David Yost, Steve Blum, Jennifer Hale, Veronica Taylor|
|April 6–8, 2018||82,500||Neal Adams, Brian Michael Bendis, Josh Blaylock, Mark Brooks, Frank Cho, Chris Claremont, Katie Cook, Phil Foglio, Gene Ha, Greg Horn, Ken Lashley, Jae Lee, Jim Lee, Comfort Love, Jim Mahfood, Mark Millar, Sean Gordon Murphy, Ada Palmer, Richard Pini, Wendy Pini, Whilce Portacio, Andy Price, Humberto Ramos, Sara Richard, Tim Sale, Tim Seeley, R. L. Stine, Philip Tan, Raina Telgemeier, Ben Templesmith, Mark Waid, Adam Withers, Skottie Young||Laura Bailey, Dave Bautista, Charlet Chung, Aaron Douglas, Richard Epcar, Sean Gunn, Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, Taliesin Jaffe, Lloyd Kaufman, Phil LaMarr, Caity Lotz, Vanessa Marshall, Matthew Mercer, Breckin Meyer, Liam O'Brien, Khary Payton, Marisha Ray, Sam Riegel, Brandon Routh, Mark Sheppard, Fred Tatasciore, Alan Tudyk, Kari Wahlgren, Travis Willingham, David Yost|
|March 22–24, 2019||90,000||Brandon Santiago||Clark Gregg|
|February 28–March 1, 2020|
C2E2 has panels by the comics and anime industry, entertainment guests, and attendees, along with special screenings of shows and live recordings of podcasts. Since 2013, C2E2 and We Are Cosplay organize a march in the Chicago St. Patrick's Day Parade with cosplayers.
C2E2 Crown Championships of Cosplay
C2E2 Crown Championships of Cosplay, claimed to be "the largest and most prestigious cosplay competition in the world," began in 2014. It is a craftsmanship award show with a pre-judging session and a stage display, which is live-streamed over the internet. All entries are judged in one of four categories:
- Comic Books
- Anime & Fantasy
- Video Games
- Movies & Television
The winners of these categories are the finalists for the local contest. The top three winners from the finalists receive cash prizes ($1,000, $500 and $250). Since 2016, the first place champion of the Chicago contest is also entered into the global Crown Championships of Cosplay, held at the same time, to compete with the champions from ReedPop's other cosplay contests from around the world. There are three champions from the United States (from New York and Seattle in addition to Chicago), plus champions from Australia, China, Austria, Singapore, Indonesia, India, and France. The global champions also win cash prizes of $5,000, $2,000 and $1,000.
|2014||Kyle Mathis (Subject Delta)||Trent Thornton (Ming the Merciless)||Lisa Hale (Queen Amidala)|
|2015||Jim Schmid (Groot)||Erin Hannah (Khorne Marauder)||Jennifer Bowden (Silurian Warrior)|
|2016||Steven K Smith Props (Warcraft Orc)||Calen "Propcustomz" Hoffman (Groot)||Vera Campbell (Jadis, the White Witch)|
|2017||Brittani Ginoza (Blood Elf Priest)||Lunar Rose (Lucille Sharpe)||Mariah Pattie (Batgirl)|
|2016||Sam "Major Sam" Mansfield (Julietta Necromancer), Australia||Andres Bauer (Wheeljack), Austria||Steven K Smith Props (Orc), United States|
|2017||Ildikó Melinda "Okkido Cosplay" Jobbágy (Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor), Austria||Erika Jean "Ae Ri Cosplay" Garbin (Astalos Female Gunner), Singapore||Brittani Ginoza (Blood Elf Priest), United States|
Past judges include Yaya Han (Cosplayer), Ivy DoomKitty (Cosplayer), Ann Foley (Costume designer for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Leri Greer (Senior concept designer for Weta Workshop, worked on Mad Max: Fury Road), Stephanie Maslansky (Costume designer for Daredevil and Jessica Jones), Ashley Eckstein (Her Universe), Austin Scarlett (Fashion designer from Project Runway), Neville Page (film and television creature and concept designer), and Nan Cibula-Jenkins (Head of costume design at The Theatre School at DePaul University).
- "C2E2 Official Website". Archived from the original on September 5, 2015. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- Ryan Kopf. "C2E2 Review". UpcomingCons.com. Archived from the original on April 16, 2012. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- Borrelli, Christopher (April 18, 2010). "Look! Over at McCormick Place! It's ... a convention!". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on April 16, 2012.
- Marshall, Rick (April 16, 2010). "Want A Piece Of Iron Man History? Check Out What's On Sale At The C2E2 Auction!". MTV. Archived from the original on April 16, 2012. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- "Chris Hemsworth to Hold Q&A at C2E2". Comic Book Resources. March 2, 2011. Archived from the original on April 16, 2012. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- Davenport, Misha (April 12, 2012). "Chicago's massive C2E2 a feast for comics, movies, TV fans". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on April 15, 2012. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- Parkin, JK (April 23, 2011). "C2E2 attendance hit 41,000 in 2012". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on December 17, 2014. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- "Press Releases - C2E2 - Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo - April 21 - 23, 2017". www.c2e2.com. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- Spurgeon, Tom (May 6, 2013). "Lance Fensterman: C2E2 2013 At 53K Attendance Mark". The Comics Reporter. Archived from the original on December 17, 2014. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Adam West, Burt Ward And Julie Newmar To Reunite At The Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo - C2E2 - Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo - April 21 - 23, 2017". www.c2e2.com. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- Alverson, Brigid (May 20, 2014). "C2E2 sees growth in attendance, floor space". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on September 5, 2015.
- Gomez, Luis (April 27, 2015). "C2E2 2015 recap: The stars, stories, sound bites and stats". Chicago Tribune.
- Smith, Ryan (April 28, 2015). "Is nerd culture even a thing anymore? Scenes from C2E2 2015". Chicago Reader. Archived from the original on September 18, 2015.
- "C2E2: Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo 2016". www.chicagonow.com. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- Tribune, Chicago. "Chicago's C2E2 comic expo seeing growing crowds, business". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "C2E2 Attendance Grows, But Graphic Novel Sales Fall". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2017-10-19.
- "Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo 2018 Information". Fancons. Retrieved 2018-07-14.
- "Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo 2019 Information". Fancons. Retrieved 2018-07-14.
- "Events We Are Cosplay". wearecosplay.com. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "C2E2 Crown Championships of Cosplay - C2E2 - Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo - April 21 - 23, 2017". www.c2e2.com. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- Tan, Monica (23 March 2016). "Australian wins global cosplay competition with necromancer outfit". The Guardian.
- Adair, Torsten (March 22, 2016). "C2E2 2016: ReedPOP Announces the Winners of the Crown Championship of Cosplay". The Beart. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo.|