Chicken Cottage

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Chicken Cottage
Restaurant Franchise
Industry Fast food
Founded 1994
Headquarters London, England
Products Grills, Burgers, Wraps, BBQ
Chicken Cottage, Huddersfield

Chicken Cottage International is a UK-based fast food chain.[1] The company is the master franchisor and owner of the "Chicken Cottage" brand. Its taste is modelled on a blend of the Indian subcontinent and Southern United States flavours using halal ingredients.[1][2] It currently operates through 115 outlets in the UK.[3]


Chicken Cottage was established in 1994 as a partnership and incorporated in February 2001.[1] The first Chicken Cottage store was opened in 1994 in Wembley, London.[4]

In February 2014, TI Global Food Holdings Ltd, a subsidiary of Terengganu Incorporated Sdn Bhd (Terengganu Inc), which is the main investment arm of the State of Terengganu, Malaysia, acquired a 70% stake in the company.[1] The remaining 30% was at that point owned by Ri-Yaz Global Food Brands Inc,[1] a subsidiary of Ri-Yaz Holdings, whose main focuses include hospitality, franchise business & development.[citation needed]

Health and safety[edit]

On 4 September 2008, the BBC consumer affairs TV programme Rogue Restaurants identified extremely serious environmental health problems with two London outlets of Chicken Cottage where raw chicken was not kept refrigerated for long periods and products were used after their use by dates. The programme did report that the Chicken Cottage headquarters promised to take remedial action once the BBC had informed them of the problems.[5]

International expansion[edit]

Malaysia's first branch opened in Ladang Tok Pelam, Kuala Terengganu in December 2015 and there are plans to have 50 more outlets, including 15 in Terengganu .[6] Other outlets are in Germany, Syria, Dubai (UAE), Doha (Qatar), Iraq, Algeria, Pakistan, France, Slovakia, South Africa, Libya, Sweden and Italy.[7]


  1. ^ a b c d e David, Adrian (December 17, 2015). "Malaysian owned Chicken Cottage to open doors in Mecca". New Straits Times. Retrieved November 18, 2017. 
  2. ^ Emel, J.; Neo, H. (2015). Political Ecologies of Meat. EBL-Schweitzer. Taylor & Francis. p. 264. ISBN 978-1-317-81641-6. Retrieved November 18, 2017. 
  3. ^ "Young, connected and Muslim – Chicken Cottage case study". Marketing Week. Retrieved 2016-10-11. 
  4. ^ "This chicken is no longer a cottage industry". Retrieved 2016-10-11. 
  5. ^ "BBC One - Rogue Restaurants, Episode 6". 2008-09-11. Retrieved 2016-10-11. 
  6. ^ Clare Hutchison (2015-12-17). "Chicken Cottage opens first restaurant in Malaysia as its international expansion continues". Retrieved 2016-10-11. 
  7. ^ "Malaysian owned Chicken Cottage to open doors in Mecca". 2015-12-17. Retrieved 2016-10-11. 

External links[edit]